In my efforts to datamine skill checks, I've reached the point where I'm associating each skill check with a conversational string. In nearly all cases, this recipe has worked for finding the required data:

1. Take name of .conversationbundle file
  2. Replace ending with .stringtable
  3. Find matching file in localized/en/...
  4. Perform eyewateringly ugly XML parsing

But, for five files it does not work. The files I expect to find, but cannot, are:

exported\localized\en\text\conversations\si_test.stringtable
lax2_exported\localized\en\text\conversations\lax02_01_iceberg_dungeon\lax02_01_cv_envoy_guard.stringtable
lax2_exported\localized\en\text\conversations\lax02_01_iceberg_dungeon\lax02_01_si_iceberg_03_narrowledge.stringtable
lax3_exported\localized\en\text\conversations\lax\lax_re_city_ambush_wed.stringtable
lax3_exported\localized\en\text\conversations\lax\lax_re_city_ambush_mag.stringtable

In fact, searching only for the filename (without the extension) in all my exported folders is still fruitless. It has some success for the last two, but those stringtables (for example lax2_exported\localized\en\text\conversations\lax\lax_re_city_ambush_wed.stringtable) have their own .conversationbundle files. Searing for si_test finds only si_test.conversationbundle.

And of course, amusingly enough, figuring out if a .conversationbundle file is actually in use is a lot harder than a .stringtable file where I might say oh, I have/haven't seen these lines in-game. 😁

Anyway, any ideas?

• Like 1

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

I'd recommend giving the Apotheosis modtool by noqn a look. It unifies all the game data into a easily navigable interface so it is easier to look through. And UI displays conversations and scripts in manner close to the tool that was used by Obsidian. So you can see the scripts, conditionals expressions, and strings for each node in a conversation very quickly.

https://gitlab.com/noqn/apotheosis

On 8/7/2023 at 7:38 AM, omgFIREBALLS said:

exported\localized\en\text\conversations\si_test.stringtable
lax2_exported\localized\en\text\conversations\lax02_01_iceberg_dungeon\lax02_01_cv_envoy_guard.stringtable
lax2_exported\localized\en\text\conversations\lax02_01_iceberg_dungeon\lax02_01_si_iceberg_03_narrowledge.stringtable

These conversations don't have any .stringtable files that I can find, and if you trigger them with the StartConversation console command they are full of "Missing String" and "[Temp] Missing String" errors. So aren't likely to be used in the game.

On 8/7/2023 at 7:38 AM, omgFIREBALLS said:

lax3_exported\localized\en\text\conversations\lax\lax_re_city_ambush_wed.stringtable
lax3_exported\localized\en\text\conversations\lax\lax_re_city_ambush_mag.stringtable

In fact, searching only for the filename (without the extension) in all my exported folders is still fruitless. It has some success for the last two, but those stringtables (for example lax2_exported\localized\en\text\conversations\lax\lax_re_city_ambush_wed.stringtable) have their own .conversationbundle files. Searing for si_test finds only si_test.conversationbundle.

lax*exported folders work similar to a mod folder in that their contents override each other (in release order... I think...). If you compare the .conversationbundle files across the 3 DLCs you'll see that they the contents of the files doesn't change; except the "UObjectName" line. Interestingly the only difference is in the .stringtable entries where where Beast of Winter (lax2) is missing some .stringtable entires that are added by Seeker Slayer Survivor (lax1).

The conversations themselves relate to 2* scripted interaction that precede combat encounters* in Neketaka ("LAXALL_RE_Woedica" and "LAXALL_RE_Magran"). These occur when travelling towards Periki's Overlook and with a certain number of pieces of the Crown of the Exiled Queen.

The conditional's for these encounters make it seems that they are meant to trigger in a specific order

• First: "LAXALL_RE_Woedica":
    IsGlobalValue(LAX_n_CrownOfWoedicaPiecesCollected, GreaterThanOrEqualTo, 1)
    and not HasConversationNodeBeenPlayed(LAX_RE_city_ambush_wed, 7)
    The Player has at least one of the Crown Pieces, and has not fought the Woedica acolyte ambush yet.
  • Then: "LAXALL_RE_Magran":

IsGlobalValue(LAX_n_CrownOfWoedicaPiecesCollected, GreaterThanOrEqualTo, 3)
    and not HasConversationNodeBeenPlayed(LAX_RE_city_ambush_mag, 17)
    and HasConversationNodeBeenPlayed(LAX_RE_city_ambush_wed, 7)

The Player has all three Crown Pieceshas been ambushed by the Woedica acolytes, but has not fought the Magran acolyte ambush yet.

*From a few quick tests I couldn't get the Magran ambush to trigger for whatever reason. So it's possible that the second encounter is not enabled in the final release.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kvellen said:

I'd recommend giving the Apotheosis modtool by noqn a look. It unifies all the game data into a easily navigable interface so it is easier to look through. And UI displays conversations and scripts in manner close to the tool that was used by Obsidian. So you can see the scripts, conditionals expressions, and strings for each node in a conversation very quickly.

Oh, this is perfect. I was just getting started on culture, subclass etc. checks and I wasn't looking forward to manually figuring out which hex mess corresponds to what. 😍

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!