So i started this game last year as Seer ascendant/arcane archer PC, didn't get very far just managed to get all companions,got busy with a few things IRL and couldn't find time to play it. Got time now and am starting over. I wanted a playstyle similar to my POE 1 Cipher, where i fire a few quick few attacks to build focus to use it to deal damage/buff allies/debuff enemies. But with the ascendant sublcass i found that the fights were over by the time i filled my focus. Does it get easier to fill focus later in game or should I just pick no subclass cipher to get my preferred playstyle.

As for arcane archer i chose it because i thought i could use ranger abilities to quickly fill focus and use pets as distraction, is that a good idea or should i drop ranger and go pure cipher

6 hours ago, Areeb285 said:

So i started this game last year as Seer ascendant/arcane archer PC, didn't get very far just managed to get all companions,got busy with a few things IRL and couldn't find time to play it. Got time now and am starting over. I wanted a playstyle similar to my POE 1 Cipher, where i fire a few quick few attacks to build focus to use it to deal damage/buff allies/debuff enemies. But with the ascendant sublcass i found that the fights were over by the time i filled my focus. Does it get easier to fill focus later in game or should I just pick no subclass cipher to get my preferred playstyle.

As for arcane archer i chose it because i thought i could use ranger abilities to quickly fill focus and use pets as distraction, is that a good idea or should i drop ranger and go pure cipher

Seers are very powerful for what it's worth. It's less about ranger abilities than that you can stack accuracy higher than any other multiclass and crit most attacks. They do require some micromanagement to get the most out of them, like using marked prey, flanking targets with your pet and attacking targets threatened by the pet (for stalkers link). You also want to keep up borrowed instinct most of the time. 

Some weapons fill focus faster than others. The ones that fill the most hit multiple opponents. Some people are fond of whispers of the endless paths for this, as it hits in a cone. 

What weapons did you use? Dual mortars can also build a lot of focus, or dual blunderbusses. The red hand is very high DPS. Also the bows Frostseeker and Essence Interrupter.

Some multiclass combinations can make it easier to fill focus. For example, wizards have citzals spirit lance that can strike several enemies at once. Kalakoths minor blights also can hit several enemies. You can collect 200+ focus in at most two attacks at higher levels. Often one. So blood mage / cipher can be very powerful. 

You may consider psions as well since they generate focus passively. Psions go particularly well multiclassed with other caster classes since you can simply cast spells from the other class while generating focus. Psion / troubadour is a great combination. So is blood mage / psion.

Forbidden fist / cipher has a very powerful base attack, forbidden fist, which can fill 200+ focus in 2 to 3 attacks. These forbidden fist strikes also heal you and enfeeble the enemy making it a powerful combination (especially with soul blade since it is a melee attack anyway). For forbidden fist to work properly with focus you need the community patch

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/335

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shai Hulud said:

What weapons did you use? Dual mortars can also build a lot of focus, or dual blunderbusses. The red hand is very high DPS. Also the bows Frostseeker and Essence Interrupter.

I did not make very far into the game, i only got around to using essence interrupter. I was also thinking of using spearcaster for arcane archer synergy. Do all the multiple hits from frostseeker generate focus or only one of them.

I am not looking for melee builds so that rules out stalker subclass, and i dont enjoy the typical caster playstyle so psions out.

I think i just need to stick with my prev build for longer

On 5/6/2023 at 8:41 AM, Areeb285 said:

Ascendant/arcane archer was a very good choice and at higher level you could fill your focus bar in 2 shots with Frostseeker. At lower level you can start the fight with Thunderous Report from Kitchen Stove and then switch to your bow. 

PS. Frostseeker generates focus with all hits, including the AoE procs. However the imbued shots trigger only from the first hit.

Edited by Kaylon
  • Like 2