Mysterious machine problem

The 'target' button on the top of the machine will not work.  I have tried jumping on it, pushing it, and hitting it.  No matter what I do, I still don't get the prompt to push it.  I even tried putting a bomb on it and nothing makes it work.  It stays black and does not activate.  I read to get close to it and that didn't get it to work.  Nothing helps.  I tried opening a new game and that character doesn't get the prompt to push the target button either.

I didn't try using it at the beginning of the game.  Do you have to do something before you use it?  I watched a video online and she just walked up to it and it changed to yellow with a hand on it to press it.  Mine does not do that.

I can not press the target button.  I have tried jumping on it, hitting it with a hammer, and I even tried putting a bomb on it and nothing works.  If I can't get the 'target' button to work, then the lasers will not even light up.  I understand that you have to fix two of the lasers to get the mysterious machine to work, but I can't use the 'target' button.  The 'target' button is the first step, then the 'activate' button, then fix the two broken lasers.  Unfortunately, the system bug is preventing me from doing the first step.  The only thing I can think of to do is send the powers that be a bug report.  Thank you for trying to help me.

I am playing in the Creative with bugs mode.  Does that mean you can't use the Mysterious Machine?  I wanted to try it this way first to get a feel for the game and then go into the survival mode. 

Wiki: Creative is a completely stress free game mode that makes the player take no damage, no vital drains, and need no Resources to craft. Despite this, items that require a station will still require that to craft. Along with this, creatures do not spawn naturally under any circumstance. One of the most important features is the Mysterious Machine cannot be interacted with and most quests do not registered, making the story completely locked.

You will not be able to feel the game in this mode, because in fact there is no game in it. This is a mode for creating spectacular screenshots of a beautiful base or checking certain points related to construction and / or crafting.

Edited by iMiAMi2014

Oh, so that is why I can't use it.  I will try the survival at the lowest setting, as I am horrible at fighting.  You have been so kind, thoughtful and patient, and you are the only one that tried to help me.  Thank you so very much.