Companions in the inn interface.

Through a convoluted method it's possible to make a .character file containing a companion, making them hireable from an Inn, so I thought I'd make a package that contains all companions and sidekicks in Deadfire.

Deadfire_Companions_at_Inn.zip

Vatnir.zip (Requires Beast of Winter)

Place the .character files in:

%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity II\ExportedCharacters

Each character is set to their default class, however this can be changed using the Reclassify Companions mod.

I'm not really sure if there'll be many applications for this. Having these character in an S4 run (likely some modification will need to be made to certain conversations for them to progress properly) is pretty much the only thing I can think off top of my head is. I haven't done any very extensive tests, to see how stable a means of recruiting these characters this is way is. I wouldn't be very surprised if there are some strange behaviours and bugs during certain scenes though. Vatnir, for example, almost certainly will be very broken without Beast of Winter installed (or not hireable at all). Mirke being added as a sidekick by the Rum Runner's Pack DLC, it's very likely that you'll run into issues with her as well but I am not sure.

From the small amount of testing I've done:

• The recruit button doesn't work for characters currently in the scene.
  • Just like with adventurers it's not possible to hire 2 of the same character.
  • When speaking to most characters they'll play their introductory conversation. Unless they have some kind of prerequisite (such as Mirke and Fassina) they'll then swap to their normal dialogue once you agree to their "joining" your party.
  • Fassina automatically walks up to the counter when entering the Dark Cupboard.
  • Konstanten will start his introductory SSS conversation after a delay when recruited in the arena inn.
  • I would advise against importing a companion during character creation, when adding the actual Eder to the party he got teleported way up the beach, as well as some other strange results...

YxnImbt.png

This is caused by having the same voice as a companion.

Edited by Kvellen
  • Like 2

For sure, I'll see about making Konstanten at the very least work as an S4 addon when I can (I don't imagine there'll be to much that needs fixing, but I have only tested the first conversation so far). But at the moment I'm currently dealing with an infrequent issue with my PC restarting or freezing when running games for longer than a couple of minutes. I keep thinking I have it fixed, only for it to start happening a few months/weeks later. So putting off getting to dug into Deadfire modding till I have a stable gaming PC again.

In the mean time I figured I'd put this weird thing I stumbled onto out for others to mess with.

Really my only concern for a wider release of this is what will happen from downloading a character off the steam workshop someone has exported based on one of the companion .character files. If the character shares the same Instance ID there is possibility of bugs galore!

Edited by Kvellen