My Biggest Expectation from Avowed: "Choices Driven Quests"

xhevvezx

I am a big J-RPG addict, only Western-RPGs I played were Mass Effect, Witcher and Elder Scrolls. But in quarantine I played Fallout 4 and 3, I liked them, BUT after I played Fallout New Vegas, I fell in love of that game, I completed it several times. After New Vegas I played The Outer Worlds, there is no lie, the athmosphere did not have same magic with New Vegas but It was also great and adorable game. I can count millions of pro's about these two games, but the best thing was choices driven quests and story. Yeah, Witcher, Mass Effect and even some JRPGs like Shin Megami Tensei have choices that branch the story, but these two Obsidian games have so different and worshippable thing: "Choices Driven Quests". In New Vegas every quest has this feature, you can bet every quests more than one path. The Outer Worlds was nearly same. Yeah, Obsidian's RPGs has also other beauties that enchant players  but this one is the best, and I expect this from Avowed.

Sorry for my poor English.

Edited by xhevvezx

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, crafting strong narratives, while making space for player expressions has been Obsidian's strong suit. If you have spare time (and money) I recommend diving more into Obsidian's library. While I think New Vegas is their finest game to date, they made bunch of interesting (even if often rushed and unfinished) titles. Here is hoping to having another classic with Avowed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Having recently finished The Outer Worlds +DLC AND the first Pillars of Eternity, my main criticism of TOW is that it made it a little too easy to please everyone in most cases. Some of the choices I made in Pillars gave me an ending that was overall positive, but a lot of people who didn't truly deserve it got a raw deal. The only people to get a raw deal in my TOW playthrough were the Byzantines and they definitely had it coming since they were a cartoonishly oblivious to everything.

I hope Avowed continues with the overall darker tone that presents me with genuinely tough choices. Furthermore, I hope TOW2 has more impactful quest outcomes.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 1:55 PM, UrbaNebula said:

my main criticism of TOW is that it made it a little too easy to please everyone in most cases.

Yes, I didn't feel like TOW really forced players to make hard decisions and consider their characters viewpoint.

Main quests tended to have simply formula of faction A path, faction B path, more difficult to achieve centric C path, which just seems to be overall better for everyone involved. Unless one is trying to saw chaos and destruction path C always seems to be the most desirable path to follow. I suspect, however, that it is also why OW1 was such an easy title to swallow. We were presented with variety of choices, while making the act of choosing not agonising (as it can be in Pillars of Eternity).