Windows Central Avowed preview

Wormerine

https://www.windowscentral.com/details-xbox-exclusive-avowed-obsidian-outer-worlds-meets-medieval-fantasy

Avowed seems to be based on a similar, albeit enhanced engine from The Outer Worlds, complete with action-oriented first-person combat and deep RPG exploration and narrative systems. We were told Avowed will feature multiple class playstyles and borrow from Skyrim's two-handed combat system.

(...)

Avowed will feature many elements Pillars of Eternity fans will be familiar with. Wizard spells like Jolting Touch, which can fry enemies with forks of lightning, will be present. Two-handed spells like Fireball are conjured using complex-looking hand gestures, but decimate enemies in a storm of magma and fire. I also saw status effect spells like Fetid Caress, imbuing enemies with corrosive poison. Weapon enchantments seem to be a big feature too, with magically enchanted swords and frozen arrows, as examples. Pillars-style guns may also appear in the game, similar to the muskets and arquebuses found in the original two titles. Familiar creatures such as the lizard-like Xaurips will appear, alongside much larger and deadlier threats, all the way up to wyverns and drakes.

The combat seems to be more loadout-based than The Elder Scrolls, which gives you mountains of spells in a gigantic list. Warriors will get access to more physical attacks like swordplay, powerful kicks, and shield bashes, while casters will be given a range of spellbook options to customize and tailor their combat style, with attacks bound to specific buttons.

(...)

At least directly compared to the likes of Skyrim and Oblivion, Avowed seems to be a far more colorful game, reminding me far more of The Outer Worlds. Luminescent cave mushrooms, verdant forests awash with gigantic flora, and hulking sunlit temples complete with skeleton-infested depths and tombs are plentiful. 

(...)

Pillars of Eternity does seem to take environmental interactivity a bit further than The Outer Worlds too, complete with swimming capabilities. We've even heard of destructible environments, using lit torches and fire spells to burn down blocked entryways too. Fire spells leave areas coated in flames too, which cascade against walls and floors.

(...)

I feel like there's a good chance we'll see Avowed in a playable state by E3 2022 at the latest given the quality of the content I've seen, which may even be several months old at this point. Perhaps there's even a small chance we'd see it at The Game Awards at the end of the year. 

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 2

• Wormerine changed the title to Windows Central Avowed preview
2 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Good article, but makes me nervous about the game ending up exclusively first-person. :(

As far as I know that is a plan. (yay, for me, woe for others)

Am surprised that there are classes though - curious if it is class system, or "class-like" classless system. I like what I hear about my interactions - I want as much of "Arcane-like" in my "Skyrim-like". 

Edited by Wormerine

3 hours ago, Wormerine said:

As far as I know that is a plan. (yay, for me, woe for others)

Am surprised that there are classes though - curious if it is class system, or "class-like" classless system. I like what I hear about my interactions - I want as much of "Arcane-like" in my "Skyrim-like". 

I play exclusively in first person in games like skyrim. Though I do like the option to use third person just so that I can look at my character whenever I want. It's something I sorely missed in Outer worlds, I know the idle camera went into a revolving camera but it just wasn't the same. I'm hoping for both options to be available.

When I heard class systems I thought Elder scrolls online where there are a limited number of ability slots and you can choose what abilities to slot in.