Older saves not converting

tikey421

Question

Hi! I've tried to come back to Pillars, looking to finally buy the expansions and I now see that the game doesn't recognize my (very) old saves.

I played when it came out, five years ago and now I've read that the game change the save structure. Thing is it isn't converting my old saves and I'm puzzled. I tried everything I read about the issue but I can't get the game to recognize the files. As far as I can see the only thing the game does is to clear the old "current game" folder in localow and not much else.

While I want to play the expansions I really don't care about playing the whole game again.

I'm attaching the files backup I have. I hope someone can give me a hand with this because I don't have any clue as how to proceed.

Thanks!

Pillars of Eternity saves (2).rar output_log.txt

6 answers to this question

Hello,

I can't say I have any definitive answer for you, but depending on what platform you have the game on, can you try reinstalling the game at the version you started with, then go up patch by patch? Perhaps even loading in on a per patch basis to make a new save file for that patch.

Also, I tried to download yours and see if they booted for me, but they are of a vastly different format than my save files (Steam version). Each of mine are a single file only, containing all relevant information. /Shrug maybe if you highlight what platform you're on in the title, someone may better be able to help.

Cheers

Edited by CeruleanClouds

21 minutes ago, CeruleanClouds said:

Hello,

I can't say I have any definitive answer for you, but depending on what platform you have the game on, can you try reinstalling the game at the version you started with, then go up patch by patch? Perhaps even loading in on a per patch basis to make a new save file for that patch.

Also, I tried to download yours and see if they booted for me, but they are of a vastly different format than my save files (Steam version). Each of mine are a single file only, containing all relevant information. /Shrug maybe if you highlight what platform you're on in the title, someone may better be able to help.

Cheers

Hi Cerulean! Thanks for your help. I played the gog version. I'll try to get the older installers and try what you recommended as it seems to be the most sensible choice.

You're welcome!

I had a side question, actually. Does GoG have patches all the way back to the release version still, or have they gotten rid of them? Like, say, patch 1.1.0.3 for example?

Also, if they don't, I actually have some of the patches up to 1.05 for GoG. As far as I know, I'm missing only 1.1.0.3 up to that point. 1.06 is probably still attainable online somewhere. And I think after that, or very soon thereafter, you start moving into WM territory (where I'm going to guess your save games will start having less trouble upgrading to newer versions in big chunks).

Cheers!

On 12/31/2020 at 7:23 PM, CeruleanClouds said:

I had a side question, actually. Does GoG have patches all the way back to the release version still, or have they gotten rid of them? Like, say, patch 1.1.0.3 for example?

At least for Pillars they don't. Only the latest version is there. Some games used to have all the version history but they might have removed it (understandable, as it is cumbersome if you just want to download and play) I might have the older version somewhere so it's a matter of finding it.

1 hour ago, K_A_T said:

Try loading them into and resaving from Eternity Keeper, it might work

Hi K_A_T, thanks for chiming in. I actually tried Eternity Keeper and it didn't recognize the files so I assume I need to convert them to the newer version.

Ahh, not to worry, Tikey. You've got a lot to do as is, and I've had some luck since my last post anyway.

I hope you're able to up-convert your files!

Something to maybe look into is why the format for savegame files is so radically different on your end. Its definitely possible that Obsidian changed the format at some point, or works differently on GoG, but is it also theoretically possible that you're looking at the wrong files?

On the Steam version, the save game files go to what is basically the Windows default saved games folder. So on my older Windows version C:/Desktop/[User]/Saved Games, and just uses the generic Windows folder, rather than anything Obsidian created. There is, somewhere else, a place that Obsidian seems to store a saved game or two (as even when I overwrite on POTD, the 'Continue' save is maintained, but doesn't Seem to be in the normal folder)--and maybe what you've grabbed actually comes from there, but not the main save folder?

Good luck, cheers!

Edited by CeruleanClouds