Jump to content

Just some feedback on base building


Recommended Posts

Does anyone else feel like it would be beneficial to allow "Blueprint Ghosting"? For example placing two blueprints inside of each other then building both. I played quite a bit of The Forest and was able to achieve some pretty creative solutions like this. I also think it would help to be able to create some custom size objects like foundations, walls, floors, etc.

 

One example I can think of all the top of my head is that you take a scaffolding blueprint w/grass floor , ghost a smoothie maker through the top and presto, you could then have a counter with a kitchen sink on it .

Capture Grounded.JPG

Edited by GuiltySpark_704
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, GuiltySpark_704 said:

Does anyone else feel like it would be beneficial to allow "Blueprint Ghosting"? For example placing two blueprints inside of each other then building both. I played quite a bit of The Forest and was able to achieve some pretty creative solutions like this. I also think it would help to be able to create some custom size objects like foundations, walls, floors, etc.

 

One example I can think of all the top of my head is that you take a scaffolding blueprint w/grass floor , ghost a smoothie maker through the top and presto, you could then have a counter with a kitchen sink on it .

Capture Grounded.JPG

I think Im confused by what you mean if you can please explain in simpler terms.  I think Im confused by what ghosting means to you.  Are you saying laying multiple blueprints down to see your idea form?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

I disagree, it's red for a reason, it should stay that way.  building stuff needs limits.  

Inconsistencies they should fix, but you shouldn't be able to build your wall say halfway through a boulder.

Why not?  It's a coop game, not a PVP game.  There is no good reason why you can't freeform build what you want to.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/26/2020 at 11:10 AM, Roger Lee said:

Why not?  It's a coop game, not a PVP game.  There is no good reason why you can't freeform build what you want to.

I agree with this. We should be able to build walls or floors through the static items in the game to close the gaps/holes in our bases. It is not a game breaking feature but it actually adds a more realistic base building because in real life we can do these things. We just need an undo button to delete the additional wall/floor we accidentally added inside a static object that we cannot select and remove.

Edited by stryderFOX
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey guys, sorry I missed some of your replies. What I meant was to take two blue prints and merge them together. For instance, say you take a "table" blue print and place a "floor lamp" blueprint inside of the "table" blueprint and then build, the floor lamp would be protruding though the top of the table, hence giving the illusion of having a table with a built in lamp. However now when two blue prints touch each other it makes one of them red and unable to be placed. That's all I was trying to demonstrate with my picture. Hopefully this makes sense. 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, stryderFOX said:

I agree with this. We should be able to build walls or floors through the static items in the game to close the gaps/holes in our bases. It is not a game breaking feature but it actually adds a more realistic base building because in real life we can do these things. 

actually you can't. show me one existing building they dropped a wall halfway into the ground, or built halfway or more into a boulder, since you bring up real life.  IRL you modify your wall.  You use half the resource for the half wall, you cut the wall to fit the land, or cut out the wall to fit around the rock,  or break the rock away with tools to put your wall in place.

That's what I'd rather see, especially since you're on the real life comparison.  Let us have modified walls using less resources to fill in that half wall gap, or the ability to landscape and make a flat area to build on, shape the wall around the boulder, etc.  If we could cut into those boulders it would give us more resources,  like granite for better weapons, leveling out the terrain could give us dirt for gardens to grow sprigs or such.

  • Like 1

                                                

Xbox One X

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/26/2020 at 6:43 PM, stryderFOX said:

I agree with this. We should be able to build walls or floors through the static items in the game to close the gaps/holes in our bases. It is not a game breaking feature but it actually adds a more realistic base building because in real life we can do these things. We just need an undo button to delete the additional wall/floor we accidentally added inside a static object that we cannot select and remove it.

I personally love this idea, and hope to see it implemented in game sometime in the future. It would let us be truly creative in our base designs!

  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

actually you can't. show me one existing building they dropped a wall halfway into the ground, or built halfway or more into a boulder, since you bring up real life.  IRL you modify your wall.  You use half the resource for the half wall, you cut the wall to fit the land, or cut out the wall to fit around the rock,  or break the rock away with tools to put your wall in place.

That's what I'd rather see, especially since you're on the real life comparison.  Let us have modified walls using less resources to fill in that half wall gap, or the ability to landscape and make a flat area to build on, shape the wall around the boulder, etc.  If we could cut into those boulders it would give us more resources,  like granite for better weapons, leveling out the terrain could give us dirt for gardens to grow sprigs or such.

This will be an easier way to close the gaps instead of asking the developers to make wall or floor adjusting to the shape of the gap which I think will be very complicated. It is similar to the foundations that we can sink into the ground/boulder to adjust the height or length. With the new update the developers modified the stairs so it can now be sunk into the ground (to allow it to snap to a sunken foundation) with the same material cost. 

I am simply saying that in real life, if there is gap we have to close it regardless of the shape. We do not have to imitate how things are done but simply grasp the idea of it which is closing the gaps. The material cost is not that important since there are grass planks and dandelions scattered all over the map. 

Shaping the land will depend on what kind of terrain they used or engine. I know that there are games that you can do this stuff but based on my experience playing grounded at its current stage, I do not think it is possible. The terrain will be static and all we can do is add items above it. New resources can be easily added into the game like a clay laying on the ground. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/26/2020 at 9:28 PM, GuiltySpark_704 said:

Hey guys, sorry I missed some of your replies. What I meant was to take two blue prints and merge them together. For instance, say you take a "table" blue print and place a "floor lamp" blueprint inside of the "table" blueprint and then build, the floor lamp would be protruding though the top of the table, hence giving the illusion of having a table with a built in lamp. However now when two blue prints touch each other it makes one of them red and unable to be placed. That's all I was trying to demonstrate with my picture. Hopefully this makes sense. 🙂

I get what you mean. In fallout 76 and due to the number of bugs and glitches in the game, players combine items to make new furniture lol. I wanted to use the square foundations as supports for my storage area instead of the grass walls, but the game does not allow us to construct a grass floor half way inside the square foundations.

Edited by stryderFOX
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, stryderFOX said:

Shaping the land will depend on what kind of terrain they used or engine. I know that there are games that you can do this stuff but based on my experience playing grounded at its current stage, I do not think it is possible. The terrain will be static and all we can do is add items above it. New resources can be easily added into the game like a clay laying on the ground. 

I agree with what both you guys are saying, I would love to see you modifiable structures but I would also like to see stuff be able to go inside of terrain structures.

 

I did just want to add that in the last update they completely re-terrained the flooded zone by the bird bath, and what once was cloverfields and grassland is now a giant addition to the puddle lake. So there is a somewhat possibility for in-game altering of terrain in engine since they have clearly managed to alter it into existing saves. It's interesting because I had a staircase going down from my sky highway into that grass forest for a grass resupply checkpoint and now it leads right into the middle of a lake 😅

Edited by SilentNinjaJG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, stryderFOX said:

This will be an easier way to close the gaps instead of asking the developers to make wall or floor adjusting to the shape of the gap which I think will be very complicated. It is similar to the foundations that we can sink into the ground/boulder to adjust the height or length. With the new update the developers modified the stairs so it can now be sunk into the ground (to allow it to snap to a sunken foundation) with the same material cost. 

I am simply saying that in real life, if there is gap we have to close it regardless of the shape. We do not have to imitate how things are done but simply grasp the idea of it which is closing the gaps. The material cost is not that important since there are grass planks and dandelions scattered all over the map. 

Shaping the land will depend on what kind of terrain they used or engine. I know that there are games that you can do this stuff but based on my experience playing grounded at its current stage, I do not think it is possible. The terrain will be static and all we can do is add items above it. New resources can be easily added into the game like a clay laying on the ground. 

yeah okay  i'll go with that,  good points. 

i still like the though of being able to modify the terrain.  the game engine may not support moving the ground around to level it out and such, but we have pebbles to break into pebblets, maybe they could do some of the boulders like that and give us a better building resource.  Granite maybe.  or find a round one and break open a geode and get crystals.

                                                

Xbox One X

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

yeah okay  i'll go with that,  good points. 

i still like the though of being able to modify the terrain.  the game engine may not support moving the ground around to level it out and such, but we have pebbles to break into pebblets, maybe they could do some of the boulders like that and give us a better building resource.  Granite maybe.  or find a round one and break open a geode and get crystals.

I get what you mean. The developers will just have to customize these resource nodes to have different stages when struck a number of times and get different materials per broken layer. The only game that I can think of having the concept you are suggesting for grounded is minecraft and that is easier to do in that game because the terrain is literally made out of pixels with different materials.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SilentNinjaJG said:

I agree with what both you guys are saying, I would love to see you modifiable structures but I would also like to see stuff be able to go inside of terrain structures.

 

I did just want to add that in the last update they completely re-terrained the flooded zone by the bird bath, and what once was cloverfields and grassland is now a giant addition to the puddle lake. So there is a somewhat possibility for in-game altering of terrain in engine since they have clearly managed to alter it into existing saves. It's interesting because I had a staircase going down from my sky highway into that grass forest for a grass resupply checkpoint and now it leads right into the middle of a lake 😅

I believe they are using a different software for editing stuff in the game and all other developers from other games do this. If the game developers allows us to change the terrain, remove boulders and stuff, we can easily manipulate how the bugs roam the backyard without any penalty. I am sure that in the future updates, we are going to have more buildable stuff and be able to make our own terrain with them. This will be more viable and balanced because bugs can penalize us for blocking their path by destroying the objects we built. 

The abilty to manipulate terrain is something that I have never seen in any multiplayer game except minecraft. I do not play minecraft but I have seen videos where players make holes underneath the spawn area of mobs to kill them from fall damage or just trap them. And if we have that feature in grounded, I will be sending those nasty spiders to oblivion everytime they spawn in 😄.

Oh one more thing, you can actually glitch floors and walls through static objects to close gaps. You just need to hover your floor/wall on a place where it is buildable then swiftly drag it to the spot you want it and then press the build button. This is kinda finicky but you will be able to replicate it easily once you have done it for the first time.

Edited by stryderFOX
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...