Wizards-Range/Penetration Issues, Editing Spells

Hello,

I've come back to the game after a fairly long hiatus, and I'm playing a Wizard.  I know Wizards are far from weak, but something has been feeling off from my earlier playthroughs (my memory could be failing me, though).  I just added a custom adventurer Druid to my party and was comparing spells with my Wizard, and I began to see my issues.  Short spell range was already kind of annoying me (spells like Meteor Shower and Maura's Writhing Tentacles having a base range of 5 doesn't make sense to me...), but I realized a lot of Druid spells have a base range of 15.  Quite a few druid spells also have a base penetration of 9 instead of 7 (and of course, some are foe-only AOE raw damage).

On top of this, Fury druids get another +1 penetration to their elemental spells and 20% even more range.  When I compare this to Wizard subclasses, who mainly get +2 PL in exchange for having their spellbook gutted...I can't help but be confused by the devs' choice here (and disappointed).

So, my questions are 1.) was it always like this?  I started looking through patch notes, but so far have not seen anything about nerfs like this.  And 2.) does anyone know of a way to edit spells?

I've found a mod to edit subclasses.

Edited by BloodMage1229
spelling

On 8/9/2020 at 2:58 AM, BloodMage1229 said:

So, my questions are 1.) was it always like this?  I started looking through patch notes, but so far have not seen anything about nerfs like this. 

this is a late response, but

1) yes. druids have always had a different damage niche than wizards. depending on how long of a hiatus it's been, and what difficulty you're playing on, enemy AR has gone up and enemy upscaling has become more aggressive, so the fact that the "default" spell PEN is only 7 might be a lot more relevant compared to when you last played.