XBox Gamepass saves transfer to GOG version

Rastislav

Question

Hi, I have played Pillars of Eternity on Xbox Gamepass for PC and I love that. So when I have saw that there is discount on GOG for Definitive Edition a have bought that. How ever I am not able to transfer save files to that edition. They are in %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity, but in some random numbers subfolder. When I have copied them out of that subfolder GOG version is able to recognize them however loaded game is broken. I stop working after video of my last chapter in paused state and character are not loaded. Could those save be converted somehow to working state?

• Like 1

14 answers to this question

Just to let you know, I have a fix for this issue now, and it was fairly simple in the end.

I'll try to tidy it up and publish it in the next week, hopefully as part of the Eternity Keeper save games editor.

Meanwhile if you wanted to send me one of your new format saves I could test if my fix works for you too.

Update: thanks to those Steam users who've confirmed my savefile fix works for their Windows Store save files.

It would be nice to have a GoG user with the same issue volunteer to test a converted save.

Also, it turns out my initial fix only works for the character state. There is a similar issue with the level state still needing to be fixed. The only negative impact so far seems to be that some enemies (and items?) respawn. A fix for that will be more involved to implement but I think I know what's needed. I may publish before that's ready depending on how much progress I make.

Update 2: an alpha release of Eternity Keeper with Windows>Steam conversion functionality is now available for download from https://github.com/ktully/eternity-keeper/releases/tag/0-20.a 

Instructions are at https://github.com/ktully/eternity-keeper#converting-windows-store-save-files-to-steamgog

This fixes all the issues I'm aware of, including characters loading corrupted, and the level respawn issue. Let me know how you get on with it.

Edited by K_A_T
  • Like 3

Thanks, I hadn't seen your update and I was just coming back to post a newer unity version as my theory, after some more investigation of the save files today! This is good news as It means there are two potential routes to get my saves working with the Steam version ...

The GamePass version seems to be based on the Xbox version, so I suspect Xbox saves have the same problem. I was able to import a working Steam save file from the very start of the game into the GamePass version, resave it from GamePass and see exactly the same issue when attempting to reload that into the Steam version. So this verified it wasn't anything specific to my saves. It also gave me a baseline for a good and a bad save in basically the same game state. I narrowed down the problem to the MobileObjects.save game files and the main differences seemed to be the Unity .NET class names & versions. 

Once I saw that, I spent a bit of time trying to upgrade the Steam version to use the Unity DLLs from the GamePass version. I also tried to add the missing DLC to the GamePass version. Neither of these routes worked due to all the protections and indirections Microsoft has put around Xbox games under Windows (I went as far down the rabbit hole as building & installing a custom version of the IgnoreACLs kernel filter driver to ignore file permissions and ACLs).

The second route which I'll try tomorrow is to write a convertor program to search and replace the unity class versions in the GamePass saves with the older versions used by Steam (and presumably GoG too). If I get this working, I'll put it on github. 

• Like 2

Sorry all for the delay!

My alpha release of Eternity Keeper with Windows>Steam conversion functionality is now available for download from https://github.com/ktully/eternity-keeper/releases/tag/0-20.a 

Instructions are at https://github.com/ktully/eternity-keeper#converting-windows-store-save-files-to-steamgog

Let me know how you get on with it.

• Like 3

I gave K_A_T one of my save games to convert.  Just got it back to do some testing and it appears that everything is working perfectly.  I was able to take my save from PC Gamepass Hero edition and load it using the Steam Definitive edition and had everything load correctly.  It even triggered the steam achievements! 

• Like 1

I have exactly the same issue moving saves from the Gamepass Hero edition to Steam Definitive edition. Moving the saves up a level gets them recognized, but the game loads in a bad state, stuck on pause, with undefined text on screen, and only one character in the party. 

• Like 1

Hi

1 hour ago, MugsGame said:

I have exactly the same issue moving saves from the Gamepass Hero edition to Steam Definitive edition. Moving the saves up a level gets them recognized, but the game loads in a bad state, stuck on pause, with undefined text on screen, and only one character in the party. 

Saves will be recognized but will not work, at least for GOG version. As it has been explained to me by Obsidian Support GamePass version has been build with newer version of Unity Engine so saves are not downward compatible.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2020 at 3:35 PM, K_A_T said:

Just to let you know, I have a fix for this issue now, and it was fairly simple in the end.

I'll try to tidy it up and publish it in the next week, hopefully as part of the Eternity Keeper save games editor.

Meanwhile if you wanted to send me one of your new format saves I could test if my fix works for you too.

Update: thanks to those Steam users who've confirmed my savefile fix works for their Windows Store save files.

It would be nice to have a GoG user with the same issue volunteer to test a converted save.

Also, it turns out my initial fix only works for the character state. There is a similar issue with the level state still needing to be fixed. The only negative impact so far seems to be that some enemies (and items?) respawn. A fix for that will be more involved to implement but I think I know what's needed. I may publish before that's ready depending on how much progress I make.

That's brilliant news! Eagerly awaiting your instructions whenever comfortable

Just got the definitive version on steam

• Thanks 1

On 10/28/2020 at 1:31 AM, K_A_T said:

Thanks, I hadn't seen your update and I was just coming back to post a newer unity version as my theory, after some more investigation of the save files today! This is good news as It means there are two potential routes to get my saves working with the Steam version ...

The GamePass version seems to be based on the Xbox version, so I suspect Xbox saves have the same problem. I was able to import a working Steam save file from the very start of the game into the GamePass version, resave it from GamePass and see exactly the same issue when attempting to reload that into the Steam version. So this verified it wasn't anything specific to my saves. It also gave me a baseline for a good and a bad save in basically the same game state. I narrowed down the problem to the MobileObjects.save game files and the main differences seemed to be the Unity .NET class names & versions. 

Once I saw that, I spent a bit of time trying to upgrade the Steam version to use the Unity DLLs from the GamePass version. I also tried to add the missing DLC to the GamePass version. Neither of these routes worked due to all the protections and indirections Microsoft has put around Xbox games under Windows (I went as far down the rabbit hole as building & installing a custom version of the IgnoreACLs kernel filter driver to ignore file permissions and ACLs).

The second route which I'll try tomorrow is to write a convertor program to search and replace the unity class versions in the GamePass saves with the older versions used by Steam (and presumably GoG too). If I get this working, I'll put it on github. 

Hi K_A_T, here is my GamePass saves if you can convert them I can try those in GOG version. https://www.dropbox.com/s/7no07u5cuj9pzsq/2533274872961518.zip?dl=0

Thank you

• Thanks 1

So guys I just made an account to say that K_A_T's solution worked perfectly, I picked up the Definitive edition on Steam after playing on Gamepass. Gonna play a good few hours later to check everything is ok but all seems perfect as other users have said, anyway thanks for the good work K_A_T you are a credit to the community !

• Thanks 1

On 10/27/2020 at 10:24 AM, Rastislav said:

Hi

Saves will be recognized but will not work, at least for GOG version. As it has been explained to me by Obsidian Support GamePass version has been build with newer version of Unity Engine so saves are not downward compatible.

Is there any update or fix for GOG versions or do i need to request another refund??? I just requestsd a game pass refund for their broken (unmoddable with bugged items still) version and got the GOG version and apparently its not compatible with the saves based on the above? Do i really need to request a GOG refund and download the steam version? Getting really tired of this 

(Update after trying it personally) The Fix worked on the GOG version I just downloaded. Perhaps I got a newer version or something? I'm not sure, but my files which were loading as either corrupted (no party, no stats on C sheet, etc) loaded fine. I haven't left the initial area I was in, but I also backtracked within it and had no respawns, character is right, all items correct, quests look good... so I'm very optimistic. Bookmarking this page and will update as I play further.

All this just to fix an arbalest... sheesh. Finally, One-Eyed Molina's Gold-Fingered Spike-Flinger finally works as intended. All I have to say is K_A_T thank you SO much!

Edited by Ploughed Jester
Update
  • Like 1