Hard Crash leaving the Archipelago island 1st time

Daedelon

Question

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 840 Processor 3.20 GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR2

Vid Card: ATI Radeon HD 4600

Used to have Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit OS and would crash because I required Directx 11 from an earlier post.  Did not upgrade my OS until Steam had cancelled support with Vista and installed Win 7 Pro to my computer.

Ran Pillars of Eternity 2 and still resulted in a hard crash leaving the 1st island of the game and I assume this is where the world map shows up.

Crash logs attached

output_log.txt

8 answers to this question

Hi, Daedelon. I'm curious if you were able to complete all of the quests on the first island:

Digsite, Upoho Wharo Woods, Vilario's Rest, etc. because those all take you to the world map. If you were able to complete Clario's quest, then your ship should have been unlocked. Revisiting Vilario's Rest at that point would have put you on your boat. Is that when the crash occurred?

However the crash happened, I'm sending along your output log, so thank you very much for attaching it. Would you happen to have your crash.dmp file handy? You can find this in the folder where your .exe file is located. It will be in a folder with the date of the crash as its title (e.g., 2009-01-03_112553). The easiest way to find it from Steam is to right-click on Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire in your Games list. Then click on Properites at the bottom of that list. Then select the Local Files tab and select Browse Local Files. This will take you to the folder where the folder with the crash date resides. Open that folder and copy the Crash.dmp file and attach it here.

I know this is asking a lot, but it will help us get to the bottom of your crash. Thank you very much for your help.

--Doug.

I can only finish the quests after you search Vilario's Rest the first time when you're finding the 4 NPC's.  And when I leave Vilario's Rest the first time to attempt showing the Deadfire Archipelago map, it crashes.

Before I was running Windows Vista and could not get Directx 11 and recently upgraded my OS to Windows 10 which allowed me to get up to Directx 12.  Even though my video card is pretty old, the drivers should be able to support it as I have no problems running the game until the crash.

I have not been able to do any of the quests you mention and am not able to repair the ship either as I am not able to explore the island.

The forums won't allow me to attach the crash.dmp file to this post.

Why not go with windows 10? It is actually far better than Windows 7 and will also work on most older systems. I actually just installed Win10 1803 on my 15 year old PC. Sure the graphics card doesn't support DX11 so it was futile in the end for recent games, but the performance is similar to windows 7 and it has much better support for modern apps and games. Win7 support (latest SP and patches) are due to go out of support in January 2020 so be aware of that.

I didn't know people at home were still using Windows 7. I encounter it at a few business I work for (I work in IT), but that's just due to the amount of effort, time and money involved in changing them to Windows 10.

For home users I see absolutely no reason not to go to Windows 10. I've been using it since it was released and never had any issues.