How is the difficulty in 4.0?

Why is it that games like BG or PT got difficulty and xp req scaling right and we now need this despicable anti-RP mechanic called "level scaling" to keep the game interesting?

Did they though? I remember specifically BG2 having disappointingly easy crit path in the 2nd half and really pathetic final boss. The first half of BG2 is gold though.

I also never found BG2 frustrating even if it was to easy, as the game used little imput from the players - put two figurines by each other and see who stands at the end. Some spells were needed here and there for more major fights.

Gameplay (read: “combat”) in PT was crap anyway so it didn’t really matter - the easier the better.

PoE rely more on skill use, so when you win fights without using those, the impression is less “boy, I am so good by putting all strength into my fighter!” And more: “I am clearly overpowered for that encounter”.

They didn't nail the difficulty perfectly, no. And they are far too old - comparing them is not really a good idea. Their xp req scaling and progression pacing was good though. But it's better to look at how PoE does things individually. I already made a separate topic for it.