Cape of the Falling Star Open Inventory Crash

salvandijk

Question

Dear reader,

My game crashes when I open the inventory from the character that is wearing Cape of the Falling Star, as bought on The Deck of Many Things. I've found an earlier post on this topic (https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/105413-open-inventory-crash-w-cape-of-falling-star/), but that the bug is slightly different since mine didn't occur right after buying the cape but way later.

This is what happens: When I tap the 'i' key, the game freezes and crashes. When I open the inventory by clicking on the portrait of a character that is not wearing the cape, it opens fine. When I then navigate to the character that is wearing it, the game freezes and crashes. 

A workaround could be to remove that character from the party. The problem for me is that I put the cape on the watcher. 

I have used another workaround in another playthrough, which is to randomly try to open inventory after some game time and when it worked just remove the cape. This is also the workaround mentioned in the other topic. However, it doesn't work anymore unfortunately.

This playthrough around, I didn't' initially have the bug, so I thought it might have been fixed (seeing the prior post being quite old). So I kept the cape. I've used it on several characters and then after some weeks the bug suddenly showed up. Just when it was on the Watcher. 

Changing settings like removing light effects and glow doesn't prevent the crash. 

My save is mostly unplayable because I can't open the inventory. I'm 30 hours in or something since I've bought the thing so I no longer have an old save that doesn't have the cape. Anyone know what I can do?

SYSTEM INFO:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro13,3
  Processor Name: Intel Core i7
  Processor Speed: 2,9 GHz
  Number of Processors: 1
  Total Number of Cores: 4
  L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
  L3 Cache: 8 MB
  Memory: 16 GB

The log says this a bunch of times right before crashing:

WARNING: BC6H/BC7 texture format is not supported, decompressing texture

and closes with this:

(Filename: /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

WARNING: BC6H/BC7 texture format is not supported, decompressing texture
Receiving unhandled NULL exception
Obtained 10 stack frames.

I have put the full log and save game in here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nwzaodq5n0swwsg/AAC4VFdh_eFk25c_Bmx0U7POa?dl=0

Thanks!

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

Hello Salvandijk,

I'm sorry about this long standing bug.  This is still slated to get fixed in a future patch but the bug still hasn't been taken care of yet.  I took the save you provided, removed the cape, and placed it into your Watcher's personal inventory.  You shouldn't crash anymore until either the cape is equipped again or the bug is fixed.  Please let me know if any other issues arise during your playthrough.  I'll link the drive that has your updated save file below.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iEghC5sU2D8MEpQNOCIJQG-NjQUn9pQE

Thank you for reaching out to us and sorry for the inconvenience this bug is causing you.

• Like 1