I'm having trouble picking a subclass for my priest, and I'm hoping someone can bounce ideas. I've already done one playthrough of PoE and I want this second one to be different. I have not played PoE2 yet.

Berath pros:

• Was my first pick,
  • Easy to manage dispositions, gives lots of flexibility
  • The flexibility would make importing into PoE2 easier

Berath cons:

• My last playthrough picked virtually all the same things a priest of Berath would pick
  • Some weirdness with picking Scion of Flame since most priest spells are fire based while Berath has no link fire at all. More noticeable in PoE2 with the subclass spells.
  • Many major decisions involve souls and it seems like there's only 1 appropriate solution for a priest of Berath

Magran pros:

• Fire spells, fire goddess, Scion of Flame makes a lot of sense
  • Lore would strongly encourage making different decisions

Magran cons:

• Dispositions are harder to manage. Avoiding diplomatic solutions seems like it would limit my options, especially when importing
  • After the Trials of Durance and the end game events of PoE, I'm not sure I want to follow Magran

Potential solutions:

• Reasons why a priest of Berath might bind or destroy souls instead of releasing them to the wheel. I know that I can do whatever, but I try to be consistent with the lore.
  • How Magran's disposition requirements (favours aggressive, disfavours diplomatic) aren't as restrictive as I think, especially for a blind playthrough.
  • Why can't she just be nice to Durance ;(

• 2 weeks later...

I have finished the game once before.

I'm less interested in the gameplay elements, so the favoured weapons aren't really important to me. Casting fire and light spells when following the god of death feels a bit odd but there's not much that can be done about that.

The roleplaying aspect is the bigger concern.

Seems like a balanced choice. I'd go with Berath to have more options and interact with the priests in Raedric's Hold. You seem to have an idea of what spells they have in PoE2, so just try to use them more frequently in this pt and ignore the fire ones.

You can use the boots that give touch of rot and spreading plague to simulate having that spell in PoE1 too. There is also an item from a Stronghold Quest that can give you Rotting Skulls. ;)

Minor Deadfire Spoilers:

I'm planning a Berath priest for one of my next Deadfire pts. I think it'll be more interesting than a Magranite.

sign.jpg