Do new patches break modding?

Hey guys, 

So, I've been in contact with some of the modders around these here forums for a while now working on a few things I want for Patch 2.1 - Mainly, being able to get the DoC Breastplate no matter what story choice is picked (I want a happy ending for the Devil of Caroc) and a new Soulbound 2H battle axe (Basically, an axe equivalent of Lord Darryn's Voulge). So, my question is... how do I make sure these mods aren't broken by some kind of update that comes later on down the line? Is it enough to just keep a copy of the override folder, deleting the old one before each update and then dropping the new one in? 

So, my question is... how do I make sure these mods aren't broken by some kind of update that comes later on down the line?

Short answer is: you can’t. A mod can break for various reasons when the game gets updated, maybe it breaks because new elements are added to game data objects, maybe an element gets renamed or removed. My pint being that there’s just no way to completely future proof your mods and keeping up with the developers is just part of being a modder.

Is it enough to just keep a copy of the override folder, deleting the old one before each update and then dropping the new one in?

It’s generally considered good practice to delete a mod folder before installing a new version of the same mod, this will decrease the chances that errors will occur and makes sure that you have a pristine mod in your override folder.

As to whether you have to completely remove the override folder before applying a new game patch as Kilay have been saying, this hasn’t been confirmed by Obsidian (AFAIK) to do anything to protect your mod from unwanted changes. That being said, it might still be a good practice to do just that before patching the game “just in case”.

Hope that answers some of your worries, and if not, let me know and I’ll answer to the best of my knowledge.

Kind regards,

S

Edited by Spherical
  • Like 1

Editor and Designer
Enhanced User Interface
Nexus Mods | Steam Workshop