Constant Crashes Rant

Vind

Question

Ok this is going to be an unpleasant post.

Buys game

Game Crashes

Buys new Graphic Card

Game Crashes

Buys windows 10 and a new SSD Drive

Game Crashes

By game crashes i mean the whole PC restarts. Congratulations on making that possible.

Now today was an epic of epic failures.

When entering old city ruins beside the crashes game also deleted my recent saves so i had to replay whole map again, and I thought well maybe there was a corrupted save game that caused it to crash when entering that area. And no i don't have cloud sync enabled.

Replays the whole map and then again when entering Old City Ruins same thing.

This makes me believe this is an unfinished product. I have no idea what your testers were smoking when they green-lighted this for sale. My giving you crash logs and stuff has no effect. Because I believe you know the problem but don't know how to fix it or don't care. This is a poor poor experience and this is not how business is done. Also I'm not the only one experiencing this judging by the posts on the net.

Crash log does not exist since computer restarts, save game is too big to upload even when ziped. Go figure.

2 answers to this question

Not saying this isn't the games fault - however, I have had a similar experience, whereby only certain games would cause a complete pc reboot.

Typically, if you receive a complete PC reboot, and not just an application Crash to Desktop, this indicates a problem much lower level than any software. Either operating system, or hardware.

In my case, many moons ago, Far Cry kept making my PC crash reboot as you describe.

As it turned out, I had a faulty PC power supply. Anytime my GPU was spiked in just a specific way by a specific use case, it drew enough current to overload the 12 volt rail of my powersupply, ever so briefly. I only discovered this by hooking up a multi-meter in-line with the PSU and watching the voltage on my 3 volt, 5 volt, and 12 volt rails. Sure enough, every time this happened I noted my 12 volt rail dropped to below 10 volts for a split second before the reboot.

Anyways, case in point, its entirely possible you have a sporadic hardware issue at play. Or that your operating system or drivers are causing havoc.

Bottom line, its extremely hard for software running in non-admin mode on a windows pc to cause a hardware level crash that instantly reboots. This would suggest a hardware or firmware or driver issue, in my experience.

Hi Vind,

We're going to need your DxDiag file, your output log file generated from the crash in the Old City, and your save file. If you are unable to upload your file directly, you can either provide a link to your files via Dropbox or you can email support directly at support@obsidian.net. If you do email support, please provide a link to this forum post along with your forum username so that we may identify you easily.

Output log: \Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity II\PillarsOfEternityII_Data
Save File: %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity II