[Character/Roleplay Build] "The Agent" Mindstalker (Streetfighter/Ascendant)

Hey guys, 

So, after putting the finishing touches on my Transcendent build, I decided to polish up the Mindstalker build I posted on these forums a while back, per the advice I'd received from all of you. This also includes a little bit of strategy for dealing with early game issues as a Streetfighter. Admittedly, while it can be extremely frustrating, it's also not as hard to deal with as I let on with proper gear. 

The Strategy: Simply put, before you get actually decent gear, keep the Blunderbuss and the Pistol as separate weapon slots, and cycle between them as needed. Powder Burns will give you Flanked for about 15 seconds or so (Since I think it keys off of your low Resolve for affliction duration) which will allow you to fire off SLIGHTLY reduced (As opposed to majorly reduced) accuracy shots with your dual pistols. The issue of spell-based accuracy still exists, and until you get Borrowed Instinct there's really not a lot you can do about that, but a lot of your powers will be targeting Will, and Tenuous Grasp is a good "Gateway Drug" to lower enemy Will. 

The Build: 

Race: Aumaua (Coastal, for built-in Might Resistance) - It fits with the idea of a Rauatai character. 

Class: Mindstalker (Streetfighter/Ascendant)

Culture/Background: Rauatai Aristocrat (For talky skills/dialogue checks)

Stats:

Might: 20 (14 Base +2 Aumaua +1 GotM +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Permanent Stat Boost) 

Con: 10 (6 +1 Rauatai +1 Effigy's Resentment (Durance) +2 Berath's Blessing)

Dexterity: 18 (15 Base +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Chameleon's Touch) 

Perception: 21 (18 Base +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Chameleon's Touch)

Intellect: 20 (18 Base +2 Berath's Blessing)

Resolve: 6 (4 Base +2 Berath's Blessing) 

Abilities...

Level 1 - Crippling Strike/Tenuous Grasp

Level 2 - Whispers of Treason (Retrain to Escape after clearing the Digsite)
Level 3 - ???
Level 4 - Blinding Strike/Draining Whip
Level 5 - Mind Blades OR Recall Agony
Level 6 - Dirty Fighting
Level 7 - Secret Horrors/Confounding Blind
Level 8 - Finishing Blow
Level 9 - Puppet Master or Hammering Thoughts
Level 10 - Mental Binding/Shadowing Beyond

Level 11 - Bear's Fortitude
Level 12 - Withering Strike
Level 13 - Devastating Blow/Borrowed Instinct
Level 14 - Rapid Casting
Level 15 - Ringleader
Level 16 - Disintegration/Toxic Strike
Level 17 - The Empty Soul
Level 18 - Amplified Wave
Level 19 - Ancestor's Honor/Deathblows
Level 20 - Echoing Horror

The abilities require a bit of polish. I'm trying to find a way I can keep key abilities, but possibly get them at lower levels. Waiting two power levels for a weapon style passive seems like an enormous waste of time. More or less though, I tried to pick up on powers that I felt would be most useful, but I know there are some that might be contested. If you want to provide recommendations for other abilities, please let me know which level I ought to consider picking them up. 

I might consider getting rid of either Tough, Bear's Fortitude, or both. 

Gear:

Weapons: The Kitchen Stove(MH)/Scordeo's Trophy (OH) - The Kitchen Stove, upgraded, gives you a per encounter AoE attack that can generate enough Focus for you to immediately Ascend. Scordeo's Trophy has some amazing enchants that help with Action Speed and Critical Hit damage. Also consider Thundercrack Pistol in another weapon slot for Storm Rune Shot and another quick bit of Focus gain. 

There's also something to be said for a Blunderbuss/Blunderbuss and Pistol/Pistol weapon set, perhaps with Serafen's dual Hand Mortars. The Blunderbusses can be used with Confounding Blind to strip Deflection before swapping over to the pistols for eliminating key targets. 

Pet: Cutthroat Cosmo for the recovery reduction and party-wide effect of 5% bonus damage with guns. Every little bit helps. 

Armor: Miscreant's Leathers is my personal pick for the 5% chance to just ignore an attack. Furthermore, when used with Cutthroat Cosmo, it just... doesn't have a Recovery penalty. Plus it looks stylish, and Blow the Man Down is easily my favorite quest for all of the ways you can solve it. I'm definitely open to other suggestions though. Maia's armor seems like it'd be good for the 20% hit to crit on dodging a ranged attack, but that requires... dodging a ranged attack. Plus it's a % chance to happen, not a guarantee. 

Helm: Acina's Tricorn is why this build doesn't work with Godlikes unfortunately, as well as why Miscreant's Leathers is my favorite piece of gear to go with it for style points. Get it, love it. 

Rings: Chameleon's Touch and Ring of the Marksman. Chameleon's Touch can be acquired on Neketaka (Though the bounty to get it can be pretty rough) as can Ring of the Marksman (Though this is VERY important, and I'm putting this here so I won't forget. You must pickpocket it off of the Rauatai Sailors as part of the Valera portion of the Family Feud quest. As a pro-Rauatai character, obviously I can't kill them. As for... why I decided to steal their ring? Well, they weren't using it, I guess). 

Cloak: Cloak of Greater Protection - It's like Giftbearer's Cloth for people who A: Don't need the extra weapon/quick item slot and B: Don't overindulge in History. 

Neck: Token of Faith (+2 Resolve) or Amulet of Greater Health (25 max Health) - Lots of not unique items here, but I can't really think of many good neck slot items I've come across. The amulet brings us to 273 HP. Cipher's Shackle could also work for the +Con and Dexterity Affliction resistance. 

Gloves: Bracers of Greater Deflection - They're bracers that deflect things. Both this and the Cloak are taken in the event that you might be hit eventually and that if you are, you probably want to make sure you're at least not crit and killed before you can teleport away. 

Belt: Belt of Eoten Constitution - Mostly so that your 10 Con becomes 12 Con. That adds an extra 21 HP. I'm not entirely sold on this one, so other Belt options would certainly be welcome. Maybe Gwyn's Bridal Garter for the added resistance to Dexterity Afflictions?

Boots: Boots of the Stone for Dexterity and Resolve, though the overlapping Resistance to Might afflictions makes them a less desirable choice. 

Right now...

The only thing preventing me from loving this build as much as my Transcendent is the ability selection. If there was some way to streamline it a bit so that I got some of those super important things like Two-Weapon Fighting earlier, I'd definitely give this one a lot more consideration. As it is, I don't like how congested it is, and how it seems like each choice, even if it's a good one, eliminates a bunch of other good choices. 

Thoughts? This is mostly a repost for posterity, but I've cleaned it up a bit and tightened the focus as far as race and culture go, I feel. 

Edited by Cyrus_Blackfeather

Alright! So, there are actually two things I need from you guys before I put the finishing touches on this build and roll it out. 

1. Streetfighter or No-Subclass Rogue? Basically, is Streetfighter mandatory to do max weapon damage on a Rogue or could I get away with going no-Subclass (Or maybe Assassin) and not having to deal with setting up Powder Burns to get the -50% Recovery and +20% extra Sneak Attack damage? (I'm PRETTY sure it's just 50% Sneak Attack damage and not 50% tacked onto the 30% because 80% damage at level 1 would be insane). The Cipher offers 20% damage on its own while Ascended anyway, though I'd only really be able to get four shots in on each Ascension window. 

2. The abilities need a lot of love. What are some of the staple powers I should shoot for with this build, especially from the Rogue perspective, and what levels should I try to get them? 

I'm still not sure about the abilities, and would appreciate some feedback with them. I'd like to try for a mix of Direct Damage/CC from both classes if possible, maybe taking Mind Blades from the Cipher for a nice bit of AoE slashing damage. That said, is 20 Might going to be enough to make the most out of those sorts of spells? I was looking at 30+ Might as a Helwalker/Ascendant. 

to OP

why you even use Blinding Strike  ? You've a good 1lvl Cipher blinding spell.

Yep, i'd  choose it than Whispers of Treason, cause Whispers too OP.

Rogue's Blinding Strike with Cipher is no go IMHO.

Eyestrike > Tenuous Grasp

upgrade Crippling Strike to Arterial Strike - there much melee enemies who will move on you or your party

Take Silent Scream, don't take Wihhering Strike. Too much rogue's abilities.

Balance this build a little. Bears fortitude? Why not +15 Will?

Edited by lameover

Sorry for my bad english.

to OP

why you even use Blinding Strike  ? You've a good 1lvl Cipher blinding spell.

Yep, i'd  choose it than Whispers of Treason, cause Whispers too OP.

Rogue's Blinding Strike with Cipher is no go IMHO.

Mostly for Confounding Blind with a Blunderbuss/dual wielding Blunderbusses. Multiple hits = multiple counts of lowered Deflection. That said, removing Blinding Strike/Confounding Blind does free up a few slots. I did take Eyestrike instead of Lingering Echoes. 

Confounding Blind(lower deflection) vs good Accuracy.

Think about it. You can raise your accuracy to the sky with Xoti's 1st lvl spell and some trinckets.

I think "worse enemy deflection" doesn't cost 2! talents on multiclass.

Edited by lameover

Sorry for my bad english.

Always a way. But that's always a compromise somewhere. Like lately I've been skipping Two Weapon. The bonus isn't THAT great anymore, particularly for a Streetfighter, particularly when spamming Full Attacks (or casting powers).

Feels more flexible this way. Two weapons for speed, one weapon for accuracy or two handed when there's a nice weapon of that type.

Of course, the powergamer choice is to spec in just one playstyle.

Always a way. But that's always a compromise somewhere. Like lately I've been skipping Two Weapon. The bonus isn't THAT great anymore, particularly for a Streetfighter, particularly when spamming Full Attacks (or casting powers).

Feels more flexible this way. Two weapons for speed, one weapon for accuracy or two handed when there's a nice weapon of that type.

Of course, the powergamer choice is to spec in just one playstyle.

That's actually a good point. 

Alright, updated the abilities and removed Two-Weapon Fighting. The skill for Level 3 is kind of flexible, it could be Eyestrike, or Lingering Echoes, or Penetrating Visions. 

Had a few questions before I committed to it. 

1. Is it worth taking the offensive Cipher abilities with 20 Might? The Transcendent build I was considering was able to hit 35 Might with max Wounds/inspirations. 

2. Is it worth trying to take Strike the Bell/Pierce the Bell with this build? The bonus Penetration and, later, extra Ranged damage does sound nice, but the fact that the skill doesn't offer anything else besides that kind of draws its usefulness into question. 

1. Is it worth taking the offensive Cipher abilities with 20 Might? The Transcendent build I was considering was able to hit 35 Might with max Wounds/inspirations. 

If its a Streetfighter/Ascendant, then he kinda compensates the lower damage with rapid power spam. Of course his rogue attacks are more deadly as well.

If its a Streetfighter/Ascendant, then he kinda compensates the lower damage with rapid power spam. Of course his rogue attacks are more deadly as well.

Yeah, that's true. 

Streetfighter and blunderbuss modal is brokenly op, I tested it against a well built helwalker/ascendant and the streetfighter variant will probably rack up 30-40% more damage over the course of the game thanks to attack speed and sneak attack bonuses. 

Best damage combos for cipher so far I tested are:

1.) Streetfighter/Ascendant

2.) Berserker/Ascendant

3.) Helwalker/Ascendant 

these are ranged builds.

Berserker/Cipher may be able to sort of keep up with the ranged Streetfighter / Mindstalker as long as the Witch is played in melee range and use stuff like one stands alone and some other damage boosting passives - Witch is really a stronger melee rather than ranged weapon character, but at range the Mindstalker is too good. 

Streetfighter and blunderbuss modal is brokenly op, I tested it against a well built helwalker/ascendant and the streetfighter variant will probably rack up 30-40% more damage over the course of the game thanks to attack speed and sneak attack bonuses. 

Best damage combos for cipher so far I tested are:

1.) Streetfighter/Ascendant

2.) Berserker/Ascendant

3.) Helwalker/Ascendant 

these are ranged builds.

Berserker/Cipher may be able to sort of keep up with the ranged Streetfighter / Mindstalker as long as the Witch is played in melee range and use stuff like one stands alone and some other damage boosting passives - Witch is really a stronger melee rather than ranged weapon character, but at range the Mindstalker is too good. 

Is my strategy for dealing with the accuracy penalty early-game solid? That is, single-handing a Blunderbuss and pistol and switching between them until the -5 Accuracy ceases to matter? 

Also, Mind Blades or Recall Agony? On paper, Recall Agony seems better, but Mind Blades has better AoE and can be spammed. 

Mind Blades if you have to choose. You will use it more in the game than recall agony.

Yeah switch between blunderbuss and pistols - but getting acina's trihorn and marksman ring is really fast, basically once you are off strating island you can get them and then you should have enough accuracy. 

Mind Blades if you have to choose. You will use it more in the game than recall agony.

Yeah switch between blunderbuss and pistols - but getting acina's trihorn and marksman ring is really fast, basically once you are off strating island you can get them and then you should have enough accuracy. 

I kind of do, since skill selection is so limited. What did you use for your Mindstalker? 

Edit: That said, I'm also kind of worried about Streetfighters getting nerfed in the future. Hopefully if they do, it doesn't make the subclass unplayable. 

Edited by Cyrus_Blackfeather