RDC VS VTC for a Cipher/Monk Spy/Assassin?

So, I'm having a lot of trouble deciding between Factions/cultural backgrounds for my Cipher/Monk. I have a good idea of what both of their goals are overall through my Principi playthrough (I did some of their sidequests), so I have impressions of both groups going in, but some additional context/small details would be nice. 

A little about the character...

I wanted a spy/assassin that didn't just default to X/Rogue. I played around with a Mindstalker at first, but it didn't really synergize all that well, so I settled on Helwalker Monk because both Monk and Rogue heavily focus on manipulating souls, just with different end goals. A Cipher learns how to harness and control the souls of his allies and enemies, while a Monk focuses on strengthening his own soul through pain - either experiencing it or causing it. Monks also take on a variety of different jobs, assassination included. 

I also wanted a character who fit the Arcane Gunner archetype, because that's a type of character I rarely see, but it's always a treat when I do. This character either channels spells through his guns, or enchants bullets with his particular type of magic. Cipher was a really good fit here because of how their chosen weapons are tied directly into their magic via Soul Whip. 

I see this character as being very efficient, and loyal to his faction's particular cause. He's disciplined, but not aloof or emotionless, he takes things very seriously while "on the job" but isn't above a drink with his mates in the tavern afterwards. He'd be the kind of person who would brutally put down a mutiny, but who wouldn't hesitate before risking his life to save his crew. 

Already kind of seems like the choice has been made... Still, I've highlighted what I think are the pros and cons of both, and I'd like you to corroborate or challenge these in the comments, if possible. 

RDC: 

Pros

- Highly efficient, by the book (Except when they decide to play dirty). The Fleetmaster sums it up as "The others will know to expect a war when we don't turn in our paperwork." 

- Out of the two "foreign invaders," their reasons at least seem somewhat positive. Rauatai is a harsh and unforgiving place to live, so I don't exactly blame them for wanting to expand. 

- They seem pretty okay with animancy in moderation. Atsura has two Ciphers standing right behind him. They're just against overmining luminous adra. 

- Atsura is a really well-written character, even if he is QUITE manipulative. That kind of bleeds into the first 'con,' though. 

Cons:

- They're probably definitely all lying to you at least to one degree or another. I'm not sure if they trust you more if you're actually of Rauatai culture or not, though. My character was Deadfire, so it made at least some sense why they wouldn't. 

- I lose out on Pallegina, so I have to make another Herald. Probably, I'm not sure if she can be convinced to stay. This ostensibly happens even with a Kind Wayfarer Pallegina, because she's THAT loyal to the Republics.

- For it to make sense, I'd want to play Aumaua. I know there are members of other races in Rauatai, but I haven't seen any of them in military or high end civic positions. 

VTC:

Pros:

- Castol is a really neat character, and is considered so well-liked that people actively attempt to avoid screwing him over, even in pro-Huana playthroughs. 

- Even if they are more focused on economic advancement for their investors, there's still plenty of areas where an intelligence agent from the Republics could get involved.

- A bit more open in terms of race choices - Humans, Dwarves, Orlans, and Elves are all more freely available

- Bit more open to the idea of animancy and experimenting with it, though... 

Cons: 

- Most of those experiments end in failure.

- They're much more of a mercantile enterprise than a military/statecraft one. 

- They're not exactly interested in conserving resources. It's heavily implied that they will overmine and grow dependent on luminous adra. 

So... am I misinterpreting something? Can you guys give me any additional pros and cons to either option that aren't related to the main story for each (Because I more or less know those already). 

• Like 1

I’m a Vailian boy at heart. Maybe it’s because business is what I’m pursuing, but their goals seem much more reasonable and straightforward than RDC (ASSASSINATE EVERYTHING FOR ZE EMPIRE!). In terms of a spy background, I would go for vailian republics and VTC and act as a “corporate espionage” type character.

I’m a Vailian boy at heart. Maybe it’s because business is what I’m pursuing, but their goals seem much more reasonable and straightforward than RDC (ASSASSINATE EVERYTHING FOR ZE EMPIRE!). In terms of a spy background, I would go for vailian republics and VTC and act as a “corporate espionage” type character.

That's actually a pretty good way to look at it! Especially if I focus more on the manipulation side of a Mindstalker (Trickster Rogue as opposed to Streetfighter Rogue). 

Plus, I tend to run into more friendly faces that are Vallian and, as I said, it opens up more race options. 

Do you know if Old Vallian as a culture gives more dialogue with them? 

• Like 1

That's actually a pretty good way to look at it! Especially if I focus more on the manipulation side of a Mindstalker (Trickster Rogue as opposed to Streetfighter Rogue). 

Plus, I tend to run into more friendly faces that are Vallian and, as I said, it opens up more race options. 

Do you know if Old Vallian as a culture gives more dialogue with them? 

My first character was from Old Vailia and was an ocean folk. Both get some extra dialogue options for all the different factions. (Some Huana are wary of you because you look/are Vailian, other Vailians more easily accept you, etc.)