As a pure theory-crafting exercise:

It is possible, by distributing the 15 unassigned attribute points evenly, and manipulating the race/species and the culture choices, to create an MC with the Attributes:

MIG   13

CON  13

DEX   13

PER   13

INT    13

RES   13

So, the essay questions for the day are:

"Is such a build viable?", and

"What is/are the best classes for this MC?"

For my part, I think this initial start would make for a very interesting Monk.

The first few areas and quests might be something of a challenge, until the character started to accumulate gear and external benefits, but after about level 5 I think it might make for a very nice build.

Next?

Wow!  Maybe it was just that I have been practicing (of necessity) my potion timing, and it has gotten better, or...

My experimental level-attribute monk got past the two Bears in the Valewood cave, at 2nd level, by the skin on their teeth.  (A bear-ly there dose of bear humor there.)

Based on something I picked up from an exchange of notes with Boeroer, I took Veteran's Recovery as my 2nd level Talent this time, instead of either Lightning Strikes or Fast Runner.  That helped a bit, I think.

Of course it also required all of Second Wind, both Gaun's Pledge blessings, 1 Minor Regeneration, and 3 Minor Endurances, Pearlwood Chiken, Duc's Meatloaf, and a Beer.  And an immediate camp out afterwards.

I tried earlier with a boost from some Skef I found in one of the randomized cashes, but I think the Resolve penalty dropping Deflection was hurting more than the drug speed up was helping.

Through sheer chance, I didn't get all the ingredients for the early Potions of Wizard's Double (the Cilant Lis mini-team kept blowing the all the skulders to bloody shreds, so they didn't collect any ears), so I couldn't try that.  I was timing the bear swipes pretty well, so I think I might have been able to make that work, as well.  The bears don't miss much otherwise.  I may run another pass to see how that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Evan the Evan-Handed has done quite well up through Raedric's Keep.  (Including all the wilderness areas necessary for the GV quests.)  At 5th level now. 

Play really began to smooth out & feel "monkish" at ~4th Level, with 1) Swift Strikes, 2) Veteran's Recovery, 3) Long Stride, 4) Weapon Focus: Peasant, & 5) Torment's Reach

Food is your friend.  Nothing gluten-free.  Suck down those pies.

So, my 'even stats build' monk is now up to 6th Level.  Recently been soloing the first few levels of Caed Nua, for the xps.

I hate ogre druids.  They are doable, if I can pull them, but it takes tanking by the brass horn animat, lots of food buffs, and a flank attack by the monk.

Then I have to rest, 'cause you better be fresh when you start the next on (and have the figurine charge up.)

The other ogres are not a big deal, just a lot of kiting, shooting, and running.  Somewhat tedious, yet too dangerous from just a few hits to afford to lose attention.

CON & MIG levels seem OK.  Especially with food buffs.

Sometimes feel the need for more DEX & RES.  Action Speed is king!

Next time around I may play with shaving single points from selected Attribs, and small bumps to others. 

I also may play with early enchantment of +0 recovery Clothing as a way to reliably boost Action Speed in this early going, before appropriate Uniques begin to show up. 

Made 7th Lvl, doing various minor / mid quests & tasks around Defiance Bay.

The Long Pain is COOL, especially with a decent INT to prolong its activity.  Takes some practice to use most effectively, though.  It would be a big mistake to get it for the first time and immediately jump on the Adra Dragon !  :banghead:

I've been "invited" to Yenwood Fields.

Not going until I can line up every possible smidge of help, do every other Act II quest (at least), and get enough money to hire many thugs.  I mean, loyal friends are good...many, many well-paid 'friends' are better.

Besides, the longer I can put the battle off, the longer before the Erl starts tapping into my revenue.

Oh my gosh.

With TLP and TR, Whispers of Yenwood & Ilfan Byrngar's Solace & Bartender's ring, and that ugly Valian breastplate Hand & Key (and a couple of vials of Restore Vital Essence), my 8th level young monk lass just went through the Wailing Banshee lighthouse like grass through a goose !

Oh.  Also full food buffs.  No drugs.

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't updated here in a while.

Still very pleased with the even stats build.  Gives a balance of capability as sort of expected.

Especially like that whenever a particular Attribute is key to an interaction, it is probably within buffing distance if you have the opportunity to tune it up.

Currently at L14, cleared literally everything through Act II, including Craigholdt Bluffs and Concelhaut.  Actually, onec I'd pulled and cleared all his supports, Concelhaut himself was not too bad.  But I acknowledge that was largely due to built up Deflection and Fortitufde, and every item-based immunity I could find a slot to wear.  Steelspine magi more than 2 at a time would be kinda deadly.

When you go to Craigholdt Bluffs, TAKE YOUR TIME!  Go home and rest whenever you are down about half.  Kite and pull like crazy.  AND, as with the Bear, DO NOT try to take a shortcut through the Cave.  It will not be kind to you.

One thing I noticed before, other places, but doubly reinforced at the Bluffs.  High Mechanics is a very good thing for a solo through this map.  About 7-8, with buffs on top of that.  Possibly more worthwhile than high Survival or high Athletics.

Currently just made L14, and about to trigger the end of Act II.  Haven't done any White March yet, and haven't finished the Master Below.  Mostly a choice because I had a secondary goal of fully binding the Belt of the Royal Deadfire Cannoneer, AND the Company Captain's Cap, before venturing into WM or Eir Glanfath. 

These are GREAT items.  I highly recommend them to any adventurer in the Eastern Reach, but especially to someone working an even distribution build.  That is because once you fully bind both of them, they lift EVERY Attribute (except Perception) by +2 to +3 points, with very little mutual suppression.  Then there are a couple of other items that you available in Act I or Act II that will get that Perception up 2 -3 points.  Plus, the fully bound items give a whole group of affliction immunities.

Taking your time, parking Companions at the Stronghold, and garnering extra xp for all the Stronghold Assignment Quests is a VERY GOOD THING.  Worth lots of xp, and you score some excellent unique items.

(Made a comment in another thread, then realized it was in effect an up date on Evan tEH.  So copied part of it here.) 

I just made L15, shortly after the beginning of Act III, completionist, and progress is actually gradually getting easier.

There have been perhaps half a dozen "You are dead" map start reloads throughout the game so far.

There has been NO point where I have said, "This would work better with maxed ____ stat."  In fact, without it really being a goal, I have found myself choosing gear, boons, etc, mostly to keep the stats pretty balanced.

Currently, unbuffed for any particular encounter, but wearing my favored all-purpose gear, the character's stats are: 17 / 15 / 16 / 15 / 15 / 16.

I am currently smashing through a series of Bounties, pretty straightforwardly (OK, pretty much like Wyatt Earp thru Arizona {look it up}), looking for the cool robe Gwis Glas, which I understand is a Bounty reward.  I want to take it with me on the Durgan's Battery Quest, in order durgan-ify the robe as my end game body armor.

I think if I do a subsequent similar run, I will probably experiment with choosing "1 up, 1 down" among the paired Attributes, MIG/CON, DEX/PER, and INT/RES, but not more than that for now.  That will keep Other Defenses relatively high across the board. 

I think some of the keys for the build are: 

1) Strive to raise Action Speed - don't ignore Might and Damage, but emphasize Action Speed;

2) strive to raise Deflection - is there any build that this is not true for? - but do it first compared to Other Defenses, trusting that the initial relatively high Fort/Refl/Will are enough for the first few levels;

3) As you are reaching middle development, look to include some items that either defend against all spells, or raise Fortitude in particular.  (Of course, doesn't hurt if the same item raises Reflex and Will as well.)

4) If you are going to try solo, or run solo on a lot of missions to increase xp production, give the character some defensive Talents in the middle levels.  I like Body Control.  Besides, it is very Monk-ish.

5) Probably true for all solo runs, but you need a lot of Mechanics, ultimately (about the time the character goes to general level 13-14) up to about Lvl 8.  With the help of the right buffs, many lockpicks, and a few judiciously horded Rites of Hidden Wonders, that will get you through virtually all the locks and traps you will encounter.

An interesting psychological effect that I have noticed in working with this build.  The initial theme that I started out with was, in effect, "balance".  Looking back, I find that that idea colored all my choices of Attributes, Talents, Skills, and items.  Some of that was forced by the fact that I was mostly soloing the character, but much of it was also the sub-conscious continuation of the theme.  And it has served very well.

Edited by dreamrider

Evan is L16 now.

Did just a few small quests in / around Twin Elms just to make that final level, and to finish off some Compainion Quests.

All of the Original Eight have revealed all their secrets and inner pains now, except Durance.  He is getting close - I just haven't been camping with him that much.

Since the MC is maxed out now, I am hauling along a party of five, still at entry level, to receive their share of xps for current actions.  Evan is doing most (all) the heavy lifting, however, "leading by example".

Evan, and Sefyra, the Adra Dragon:

Yea ! All of Caed Nua is mine !  From the adra deeps to the pinnacle pennants.  Sefyra is returned to the Wheel, and the good huntress Falanroed is still watching over Galawain's Shrine.

(I was afraid for awhile that to defeat the Master (Mistress?) below, I might finally have to retrain, but with the proper application of Rest, Boon, Duality of Mortal Presence setting, crafting some Potions of Major Endurance & Paralyze scrolls, Evan worked through it … and demonstrated for his five hangers-on how you smack down a dragon in a pit … with you.  So the balanced build is still working out.)

BTW, for those who don't know, the Adra Dragon is now (v.3.0x +) IMMUNE to Petrify, so ignore all those earlier days walkthroughs and videos that show you how to use a Gaze of the Adragan trap. 

Paralyze and Charm (Whisper of Treason) work like a <ahem> charm, however.  You do need to plan ahead though, because Paralyze scrolls require Lore 8, at least as a temporary buff.  By this point in the game you should be able to craft all that you need relatively cheaply.  Whisper of Treason will require one of 2-3 possible unique gear items, or a cipher. 

Straight out fighting will require high move speed, that corrode breath will put down anyone.  All approaches require that you have decent resistance to adragans / Petrify (high fortitude, diminish affliction abilities/enchantments).  Put the adragans down as fast as you can; you can't effectively run around kiting the dragon, shoot-and-scoot, while the addies are occasionally pinning you.

It is hard to get past the Adra Dragon toward either the adragans to the east, or the xaurips / cave extension on the southeast when you first enter L15.  Sefrya sits right between those two routes, and will move to you and start your conversation even if you are sneaking at the very edge of the room.

My suggestion:  Come down the rockslide, sneak west, then around the south rock lip toward the xaurips in the southeast.  Sefyra will come down to you and talk.  Choose options that sympathize with her, and take her quest.  Go out to Black Meadow, meet with Falanroed.  I prefer to warn Falanroed and anger the dragon.

Return to EPON L15.  The dragon will be where you left her, down to the southeast near the xaurips.  This allows you to sneak up along the northern embankment and engage the adragans for quite a long time before the dragon, or even xaurips, move to intervene. 

Beware of adragan Petrify (keep moving around), and be aware that the adragans will call some earth/wind/rain blights to harass you.  They don't hurt a high-level PC very much, so keep focused on putting down the adragans.  But don't get pinned in by the minions, because your luck will be that THAT'S when the dragon will saunter into the fray.

Well, this week Evan is running around the lower White March, intimidating & befriending ogres and generally cleaning up all the unsavory types that have been making life hard for Stalwart. 

And...we may have even found a way into the Battery.  Suspect Evan should remember to wear his old favorite Bartender's (Spirit Bane) Ring when we open THAT door, though.

That hermit animancer Galvino is a real curmudgeon SOB, but I kinda like him.  Not enough to save his hiney if the Devil girl decides she can't tolerate her soul-bottler any more, but in a "Oh, isn't the old snapping turtle ugly-cute" sort of way.

And, for the first time, Evan is running with a party of 6!  Having reached the xp limit on all companions now, via solo play and some duo travel Companion quests, I am in the process of building out all the Companions to max.  Since I was in the White March when I got the last of the Companions up to 120000 xp, I am currently running with a party of 16th level, built & equipped, Zuhua (2 L16 Monks is Great!), Maneha, Devil oC, Grieving Mother (she is carrying a soulbound weapon we are trying to get enough use on to raise the bind level), and Durance (he was the tail-end-Charlie guy on getting full xp.)  The other who has been fully built out so far is Eder.

For awhile, while trying to drag a low-level Durance over the xp line, Is was running a small party of L16 Eder, flanked by L16 Evan, and L16 Zahua (with Durance tucked away somewhere safe in the distan backfield.)  THAT was kind of a meat-grinder of a line.  Lagus did NOT like it … but they didn't survive long so it didn't matter.

Alpine Dragon.  … Doh! … My advice:  Talk your way through that one.  He doesn't drop anything all that great except dragon meat, anyway. 

BTW, "Talking your way through" that one includes "do not mess with the dragons nest after he has let you off the hook."  Believe it.

Tah.

Well, all of Evan's close buddies have learned their way around their L16 powers now.  There are still growing pains.  And the big menu of action decisions slows down combat.

The Battery is cleared!  The White Forge is alive again!  Durganized armor!  Yea!  Forge Guardians!  Boo!  The Long Pain!  Yea!

I had hoped to leave the remaining apprentice sorcerer Uariki in peace.  It fit my role play. 

But then I had to go back to Craigholt for ... well, anyway, she doesn't like, um, 'self-selected and appropriated rewards'. 

THAT was a very tough fight.  DO NOT get a character caught inside the weapons lab when all those floaters turn hostile.  Try to take out the wands as soon as you can, however they are not as squishy as kith junior wizards would be.

Looking to find and set up the last of potential allies for Yenwood Field next.  The Doemenels, and the ogres have sent word, and I have plenty of funds for a nice mercenary hire.  I can re-balance my castle household troops toward nastiness...er...high security value.  But I have rumors of a "lost battalion" in the mountains that might be worth knowing better.

The even build continues to work just fine.  Damage very good, hit rate excellent, sturdiness quite fine.  Actually, if there is one complaint, it is that the PC is rather hard to hit and slow to gain those first couple of Wounds.  Slows down the decisive action on a Monk PC.  I think if I take Resonant Touch next time, it may help with that.  Based on my experience with Zahua, there is an 'undocumented effect' whereby a Monk with Resonant Touch takes 1-3 Wounds at Combat Start.  Makes Zahua a deadly whirlwind; PC with TLP and RT might be even better.

Wearing Gwist Glas, the only time the PC's defense ever gets in trouble is if I allow him to get surrounded.  Even a single leaker / flanker is OK, because he is turdy enough to turn away from the front long enough to kick in the penetrator, then turn back around.

Oh.  and dragon breath / slam.

Edited by dreamrider

Found Ryona's Brestplate.  Swapped it for Gwist Glas even though it slows the PC down, in order to work on the soulbinding, to see if I want to keep it for end game.

Was pretty intimidated by the Eyeless when they broke into the Iron Flail Fort, especially after our marked success negotiating with that angsty Watcher boy, Alaryc.

But with Itumaak the super-fox (and a couple summons) running interference, the Crew of Caed Nua shot them to pieces, one at a time.  Glad there weren't more...yet.

Cleaning up the lesser WM II quests (that Wylla is gonna be a pistol...when she gets her own pistol), while continuing to level an array of soulbound gear spread across the party.  I get the feeling that when Eder finishes aligning himself with his new shield, he will be...really tanky.

The build is working so well I rarely think about it, although at this stage of the game you do have to be careful to buff up before likely confrontations, especially on Resolve.  Mainly for tricky interactions rather than the fights.

Edited by dreamrider