This is my first play-through for Deadfire and I am looking to make a melee dps/offtanky character that is has a reasonable amount of abilities to use but isn't super-micro intensive.

With that in mind, helwalker/wayfarer seemed like an interesting combo since the helwalker should put out damage while the paladin/wayfarer abilities would cover the helwalker's extra damage-taken and let me stand up in the front lines.

At that point however, my lack of knowledge about the deeper mechanics of the game has really paralyzed me in figuring out how to build. From reading this forums it definitely seems like dual wielding (probably sabres?) is where I want to go, but I can't figure out what race would be best, and I really can't figure out what stats to focus on.

This is loop I get caught on: seems like people are saying that Dex > Might as a general concept...but then since monk's have fast attack speed it would be a waste and might would be better....but then helwalkers get so much might from wounds that its better to focus on Dex....but then wayfarers flames heals scales from might... and back around. Same deal with perception, since flames of devotion has a big accuracy buff people seem to say not to focus on Per, but with faster attack speed from monk abilities I would think Per is fairly important outside of flames of devotion.

TLDR; given the character I'm trying to make, can someone help me out on what race/stats to focus on? Or alternatively, if there is a better combo for this kind of character (barbarian/paladin) or (shattered pillar/wayfarer) etc, please let me know.

Thanks everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first play-through for Deadfire and I am looking to make a melee dps/offtanky character that is has a reasonable amount of abilities to use but isn't super-micro intensive.

With that in mind, helwalker/wayfarer seemed like an interesting combo since the helwalker should put out damage while the paladin/wayfarer abilities would cover the helwalker's extra damage-taken and let me stand up in the front lines.

At that point however, my lack of knowledge about the deeper mechanics of the game has really paralyzed me in figuring out how to build. From reading this forums it definitely seems like dual wielding (probably sabres?) is where I want to go, but I can't figure out what race would be best, and I really can't figure out what stats to focus on.

This is loop I get caught on: seems like people are saying that Dex > Might as a general concept...but then since monk's have fast attack speed it would be a waste and might would be better....but then helwalkers get so much might from wounds that its better to focus on Dex....but then wayfarers flames heals scales from might... and back around. Same deal with perception, since flames of devotion has a big accuracy buff people seem to say not to focus on Per, but with faster attack speed from monk abilities I would think Per is fairly important outside of flames of devotion.

TLDR; given the character I'm trying to make, can someone help me out on what race/stats to focus on? Or alternatively, if there is a better combo for this kind of character (barbarian/paladin) or (shattered pillar/wayfarer) etc, please let me know.

Thanks everyone.

Well dont worry too much about that unless you are going for Path of the Damned difficulty.

There are so many options that you should just focus on how you want to roleplay your character. Remember that there are dozens of items that can improve or compensate your weaknesses and there are a gazillion "consumable" items that can boost any stat so let yourself enjoy it more.

I just finished my first play in 130 horas(took my time) with a main character "Shattered Pillar/Shifter" (monk/druid) and loved it because monk is a martial class and the shifter beast transformations and magical options made it a super versatil character.

From your two options i would choose shattered pillar/wayfarer because of the versatility in combat and low micromanaging