I used the "Kitchen Stove" blunderbuss (wild shot ability) for most of the game.

Wild shot is the AoE "flamethrower" ability, when you catch 3+ enemies in the cone it converts into a sea of Focus

Also Serafen has a hand mortar and if his quest is completed he gets another mortar.

At the end I bought the most expensive arquebus from trader in the Brass citadel, it is good, but I can't say it is worth it's enormous price (a price of a good ship).

Serafen's mortar is avaliable as soon as you leave Mage island, for Kitchen Stove you have to complete the quest for criminal overlord in the Gullet.

I personally think the Stove is critical for the cipher.

I am currently playing a pure cipher (although not ascendant, but it shouldn't matter), and I found that the fastest way to generate focus after level 16 is to dual wield melee and gun.

Shoot once with the gun at the lowest deflection ennemy. Unless something goes really wrong, you get 80 focus. Cast time parasite immediately (no recovery from gun), generally gets you at least +100% action speed, sometimes up to +200%. Run in melee range, hack with the melee weapon with insanely high speed. You get ascended, still have the speed bonus from time parasite. Start casting like crazy.

I know it feels counter intuitive to spend focus to get ascended but see that as a very short term investment.

I'm using Scordeo's trophy and Modwyr, but really any good gun+melee would do the trick.

Edited by Myrtillo