Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Eulogy for Quest Mode

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

nsr

nsr

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 174 posts

I personally love the idea of Quest Mode and we are looking into a way where it supports the Story Mode game characters instead but leaving both types of characters in the game... bad juju.

I don't know if this applies to anyone else, but using the story mode game characters negates some of why I liked quest mode:

- incremental progress- when I discovered that I wanted to rebuild my Lem after Roles became available, in quest mode I just took a new level 1 character into the party and continued. The other experienced characters kept gaining experience and boons while helping the new Lem level up. When I tried to do something similar in story mode, the old characters gained nothing from running through old scenarios, and even prevented new Lem from gaining loot rewards. Maybe this could be solved with the future character editor.

- Loot. Some loot cards benefit specific characters a lot, and some characters don't get nice loot. In quest mode this becomes equal since loot is not available. Maybe this could be solved by having improved treasure cards.
  • Kinesia likes this

Hannibal_PJV

Hannibal_PJV

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1943 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Creating the goblin version of existing characters is just creating new artwork/images and reusing everything else for the character that's already been created. Creating a full new goblin character will require creation of powers for that character, which is a lot of work

It requires even more character interactions! What each character says to eachothers. The combinations increases very rapidly...

Edited by Hannibal_PJV, 17 February 2017 - 11:09 PM.

etien

etien

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 15 posts
Well, having played the story mode to death, the quest mode was more than welcome and it's random aspect interesting to test builds. Ether you jump to S&S transposition quickly ( that would be great ) or you need an idea to get this app running ( branching level 7 type of scenario ). I did suggested a list of scenarios were loot is limited ( think ad&d old crashed flying saucer scenario where most of the drop like phaser could only run close to reactor, or underwater Cthulhu Mythos with relics only active till the old one are not destroyed. )

Ripe

Ripe

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 193 posts

and it's random aspect interesting to test builds.

Not that random... I had six consecutive games with same setup (locations, wild cards, villain and henchmen) and same locations in 8-out-of-10 games.

Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 900 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

and it's random aspect interesting to test builds.

Not that random... I had six consecutive games with same setup (locations, wild cards, villain and henchmen) and same locations in 8-out-of-10 games.

Quest mode was never truly random.  It was always a "constrained" randomness.

In short, when you fire up quest mode, the game does something like:

- Identify the highest level character

- Use that level to pull a couple matching pre-generated scenario templates off the virtual shelf

- Select one of those scenarios, and mix it up a little bit, as much as the template allows

If it were entirely random, there would be a lot of terrible, non-challenging, or non-fun combos.  Templated randomness was the solution the game eventually went with.  That is why you occasionally have a string of similar quests.  The virtual coin-toss just came up "heads" several times in a row.

What likely killed quest mode (permanently or temporarily), is that they never really found that good balance between random and fun, and it was only going to get harder to manage as the adventure decks increased in difficulty.

If it ever comes back, it will be because the devs finished up all the ADs and now have a chance to consider the game as a whole, rather than trying to build out quest content on a tier-by-tier basis.

etien

etien

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 15 posts
Well a relatively smooth way to do it could have been:
Allocate a level to each card. ( desk number from 0 to 7 ? )
Check highest peeps, match to the previous number let's call it the random scenario number. Run
Pick a mix of 50pc location from that run numbers ( at least 2) and 50pc below
Populate locations from a bell curve centered on rsn with a volatility of 1
If u want some consistency. ( goblin with gob location and bosses ) create a graph to of relationship. From loc to vilain and from vilain to bane. Like 1 time out of 2 follow the graph, the rest pure random
That should work

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users