Computer shuts off out of the blue

moragb

Question

I've been playing for a few days.  At first everything was very smooth.  Then game started to lag, and now starting late yesterday, it shuts my computer off out of the blue.  Just bam - no power.  

It sounds like a similar issue from the first game:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72006-shuts-down-computer/page-1

It doesn't seem to be an overheating issue - it recently shut the computer down as soon as I loaded the game;  other times I can play for a couple of hours or more.  

Forum isn't letting me upload the save game file, but I'm attaching the output log and specs.  

Editing to add:  Now it's doing it as soon as I load the game and click on something, every time.  Please tell me there's a fix for this.  

output_log.txt

DxDiag.txt

Edited by moragb

3 answers to this question

Hello moragb,

Thanks for the post! We have this issue currently logged in our system so the programmers can look at the reason for the issue.

Apologies for the late response!

Best,

-Caleb

I like big bugs and I cannot lie...

Cdiaz,

Here's a sampling of what Afterburner shows for GPU power usage in a few different scenarios that might help you nail down the issue:

Desktop - 13%
Idle Champions open - 14%
Idle Champions and Hearthstone open - 37%
PoE II at Title Screen - 34%
PoE II at Grand Promenade - 39-40%
PoE II at Forgotten Mausoleum (one of the zones that used to cause a restart) - 89-113%

I've posted about this issue before, but didn't really have much to contribute other than the fact that certain animations (such as the braziers in the Forgotten Mausoleum) caused this issue to occur on my system. I was able to circumvent the issue entirely by putting my video card on a dedicated, separate PSU from the rest of my system, but that's really not a great workaround. I've been trying to help others with the same issue and someone on Steam recently saw a Reddit post that seemed to narrow down the exact cause:

"There was a community mod post in the reddit sub section yesterday, did you see it sleepy ? Trying to find it again now. Basically the jist was about their being a issue comprising of a combination of the unity engine bug and optimization issues in the game renderer that is causing a limitless ceiling in certain render scenarios. It mentioned lighting and animations, sounded similar to your issue."

Hope this helps, Cdiaz.

moragb, what video card do you have? I've never done it before, but it may be possible to limit your GPU power consumption through a program such as Afterburner. That may or may not resolve your issue. I never got around to trying it with my other PSU before I found a fix that works for me. Running the game in windowed mode (as small as possible and still playable) with all graphics options unchecked was a "good enough" workaround until I put my GPU on a dedicated PSU. It still runs incredibly hot in certain zones (72-73C), but it never crashes and never hits a temperature that I would call unsafe. Another video card I tried got to 82C before I killed PoE II.

On 5/30/2018 at 1:04 AM, Cdiaz said:

Hello moragb,

Thanks for the post! We have this issue currently logged in our system so the programmers can look at the reason for the issue.

Apologies for the late response!

Best,

-Caleb

Hello, i have the same issue as Sleepytime, really no fix it since 2018?