Screen freezes but game plays in background

nakedmancow

Question

6 answers to this question

It's August, 2022, and this still happens to me constantly. Screen freezes, but game otherwise plays in the background. I can even try to click things.

I have tried most of the fixes: re-installed Nvidia driver, re-installed game, Windows 10 is up to date. I have no 3rd party AV running.

Updated Windows 10, 3080 Ti, no overclocking going on.

Hello nakedmancow,

This issue is currently one of our top priorities and is being worked on for a fix. Any information you could provide if it is computer specific like a .log file or dxdiag would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

-Caleb

I like big bugs and I cannot lie...

I am having the exact same issue. After anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes of play time the game background freezes up but otherwise appears to be running in the background, the cursor changes if moved over relevant buttons on the screen, I can advance dialogue if I'm in the middle of it (but without seeing the updated dialogue text), etc.

This happens in Windowed and Fullscreen for me.

I'm using Windows 10 and a geforce 980 graphics card with updated drivers.

Same issue here, Windows 10 AMD Crossfire X twin r390s on Adrenalin 18.6.1.  Consistently freezes in Endless Queries in Beast of Winter.  Save file is too large to attach. 

Other fun stuff in my current save:

1. Sanguine Harvest never clears and I killed it 7 times before resting and have 7 swords, 6 on the deadfire merchant ship for about 400k gold.  It's still available and I'm sure if I went back on the right day I could farm it again.  

2. Pallegina is using a mace (Saru-Sichr) that currently benefits from double Superb buffs in accuracy and penetration, and I assume damage.  It goes away if I weapon swap.  Unclear how this happened, but somewhere I put on the mace for crush damage in Beast of Winter and it stuck.

3. Grave Calling procs chill fog on non-vessels (all games).

4. Hel Beckoning procs imps on non-spirits (all games).

5. Occasional bugs of named enemies (bounties) not dropping items, but I just reset and kill again so might not be evident.

6. Periodic crashes due to pure virtual function calls when loading a save from an active game (i.e., when I got destroyed but not yet fully party dead).

DxDiag.txt

Edited by trisyln

On 8/16/2022 at 8:29 PM, Donny Blade said:

It's August, 2022, and this still happens to me constantly. Screen freezes, but game otherwise plays in the background. I can even try to click things.

I have tried most of the fixes: re-installed Nvidia driver, re-installed game, Windows 10 is up to date. I have no 3rd party AV running.

Updated Windows 10, 3080 Ti, no overclocking going on.

DId you ever get a fix to it. This is happening to me as well and it's really frustrating because the game seems fun but i can barely do anything as a result of this