POE2 not loading/reading POE2 Save Files

CptCurt

Question

Hi,

As the title says, I have multiple issues. I am on windows 10, have Deadfire installed via Steam, through which I also have PoE1 installed (and completed).

1) The game did not register my save game (and I cannot find it).

2) Yesterday, I decided to try the game despite the import issue, so I created a character and played for a few hours. I saved the game, yet upon opening it today, all my save games are gone. After starting a new game, I now no longer have the option of importing a save game, and the only options I have are "create new history" and "close". If I create a new history, it does not save it, thus leaving me stuck in a loop. I cannot do this from the initial menu either. Reinstalling the game did not work.

Edit: I've come slightly closer to figuring out the problem. For some reason, PoE2 saves my games to a location on a network drive (my user profile), whilst seemingly being unable to read the files it saves. So no matter how many "legacy histories" I create for PoE2, it is unable to read them for some reason.

It should be mentioned that my PoE1 saves are in the same location (but different folder), yet PoE1 can read them fine. I'm trying another re-install...

Edited by CptCurt

12 answers to this question

I am having a game breaking issue that is not allowing me to load any saved games I've created in Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire.  As you can see in the photos, The save files are being created in the proper save directory, yet while in game it will not give me the option to load any of them or simply continue.  Even if i try to load a save file that was just created while in game (after starting a fresh new game), it will not allow that either.  Anyone else having this problem?  Solution?  This game is unplayable at the moment and I will have no choice but to return it for a refund if some sort of resolution is not presented to me within the next days.  Thank you.  

post-209787-0-91983000-1525916613_thumb.png

post-209787-0-89662400-1525916632_thumb.png

• Like 1

Hi,

I seem to have the same problem (https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/97667-cant-save-the-game-cant-import-saves-cant-create-pillar-history/) with the addition that I cannot also create and save pillar histories - so I am stuck on the very first "prompt" for backstory.

It is indeed a very frustrating bug, as it makes the game completely unplayable. Let me know if you find a solution...

I have a similar problem. I can save games, and they show up in the Load menu for as long as I keep playing, but when I quit the game recognises few or no saves. I've found no pattern in the saves it does recognise. I had a similar problem with the first game (and PoEII doesn't see my PoE saves either) but I could usually solve that problem by re-opening the game a few times until the right saves came up. That hasn't worked for this game.

Some context might help: both the first and the second game are on Steam. My save files are also in the right place (see picture). Unlike the second poster, I can create and save histories, which the game does recognise in subsequent openings. I've also attached a copy of my output in case that helps. It seems to find a lot of my saves corrupt but, as I said, they work fine until I quit the game.

output_log.txt

post-134047-0-41357300-1525950045_thumb.png

Hi, I started playing the game yesterday and I'm having a blast, but I have one problem - when I restarted the game I didn't have an option to load any of my saves, like it's my first time playing the game. I did a qucik search on my computer and found save files folder - my saves are there, it's just that game don't see them. What can I do?

I've done this, and now it finally works. Thanks phryneas, hopefully this helps others.

In the mean time, this is a pretty frustrating bug, so I hope the developers see this, somehow...

So I've gotten about 12 hours into the game, haven't noticed any bugs so far. Last night I got to the  scene meeting with the gods on my way to Neketaka, saved afterwards and quit for the evening. This morning I boot up the game and on the main menu the 'continue' and 'load' buttons are dark and unclickable. I checked the save folder and sure enough my saves have completely disappeared. I am so so frustrated right now. Has anyone else had this happen to them? My best guess right now is that it's a problem with steam cloud but I have no way to verify that. Any help would be appreciated. 

Update: I did not have the network drive problem above, but I did figure out my own trouble. It seems the some saves are getting bugged and trying to force themselves into the spot for the continue button even though they are not the most recent save.

To fix this go to C:\users\username\appdata\local\temp\Obsidian Entertainment\pillars of eternity II. In that folder there should be a zip file named "loadedsave.zip". Open it it up and look for the screen shot, that will show you the picture from the save, that's your bad one. Easiest "fix" is either to delete or move all but your most recent save from the saved games folder and delete that loadedsave.zip. Or you can keep loading the game and exiting then deleting until the zip file matches the most recent save. 

Also make sure to turn of Cloud sync if you have it on so the do get put right back.

I hope this helps anybody else having trouble. Still not sure what causes the bad save in the first place or if its a bad save or trouble with the game itself, but i'm back up and running.

Same issue for me. Saves seemed to reappear after I uninstalled POE from my laptop that was on the same network. I was able to exit and enter the game no trouble. But this morning it seems the problem is back. Saves are in the right location but are not showing up in game. For me it seems to happen around the 10-12 hour mark. Both games I've lost happened at different story points but around the same time frame.

Edited by Sparkz
  • Like 1

This is so upsetting.

i've tried messaging Obsidian but even they don't have a fix for it.

Same problem happened to be in POE 1, POE 2 & Tyranny.

I suspect maybe its Unity engine.

Is there any way to force load the savegame via console?

I believe this issue comes from different situations, so here i just want to share my solution.

when I started my game from steam, I found main menu loading and continue button are grey out. so I checked the game log file in C:\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity II\PillarsOfEternityII_Data\output_log.txt, I found this: 

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "C:/Users/FENGYI~1/AppData/Local/Temp/Obsidian Entertainment/Pillars of Eternity II/TempSaveData" is denied.
  at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectoriesInternal (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Game.SaveLoadManager.LoadSaveGameMetadata (System.String filename, SizeStyle sizeStyle) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Game.SaveLoadManager.LoadAllSaveGameMetadatas (SizeStyle sizeStyle, System.Boolean& abortSignal) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Game.SaveLoadManager.CacheSaveGameInfoThreadFunc () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

Error loading save game cache!

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

Pillars II saves cached.

To me, the problem is the pemission to the temp folder: "TempSaveData", so I created one and named it, then started the game, the loading / continue button comes back, so enjoy it.

Hope you can read the log file, search "save" to find out your reason on this problem.