Upgrading to higher tier versions of PoE: Obsidian, help us GOG customers :(

Back when Pillars of Eternity was released on GOG.com there were no upgrade paths to higher tier edition - unlike on Steam. However, we have been promised this:

If you bought the Hero Edition or Champion Edition, and you like the goodies included in the larger editions, all hope is not lost. We're currently working on making edition upgrades available for Pillars of Eternity . Stay tuned for future updates!

Source: https://www.gog.com/news/release_pillars_of_eternity
Well, no such thing was ever introduced.

Now there's the new Definitive Edition which includes all extras of the Royal Edition. As I'm a big fan of Obsidian's work and I'm one of those customers who bought one of the lesser editions of the game I would have loved to upgrade to the Royal Edition at some point but we never got those upgrade options. I'm very disappointed that this situation hasn't changed with the new Definitive Edition. Again GOG users cannot upgrade to a better version of the game without buying a full version of the game again.

It's pissing some people off over at GOG and I think rightfully so. Obsidian, can you get in touch with GOG staff and work something out? This situation creates more frustration than it should be.

Edit: I'm not the only one who feels this way, just take a look at the PoE DE release thread at GOG.com: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_pillars_of_eternity_definitive_edition_63164/page1

Edited by ShadowOwl

This is just my 2c but right now the PoE:DE is $30, even if an upgrade path was going to be given seems to me $30 would be a pretty fair price.  

Again, just my thoughts on the matter, not trying to poke any bears :)

This is just my 2c but right now the PoE:DE is $30, even if an upgrade path was going to be given seems to me $30 would be a pretty fair price.  

Again, just my thoughts on the matter, not trying to poke any bears :)

Well, you could argue that it was if you just own the base game. I'm just missing the extras from the Royal Edition.

• 2 months later...

Well, you could argue that it was if you just own the base game. I'm just missing the extras from the Royal Edition.

I sent in an e-mail to GOG support about upgrading when it was on sale, talking about paying the difference or something, and they gave me a royal edition key, no strings.