Pallegina: Avian Godlike, infertile. Hylea: Goddess of fertility, birth. Does not compute.

613 The Evil

Question

Well, yeah, isn't it that odd? A person "touched" by Hylea, the goddess of fertility, motherhood, growth, birth, blah blah... And yet... Pallegina is not even considered a woman in her society. She can never get pregnant. It does strike me as very odd... I just think the whole "Godlike" concept was not so well-thought and was forced into the game just for the sake of variety, for gameplay reasons and because it's a trend in DnD and other games... I mean, the gods in PoE universe are quite different in some ways. And what is even more strange, Pallegina doesn't bring this issues up with Hylea, when she confronts her in the temple. I mean, her life is a constant irony, an existence "blessed" with infertility by the goddess of fertility... Yeah. I don't know how we can make it make sense and it should be the game's responsibility anyway, not ours.

3 answers to this question

Well, Pallegina doesn't exactly strike me as the type who'd be torn up that she can't be a mother, but I agree with you that the Godlike concept was very much unfinished. I think they only had so much narrative space, and had so many topics to get through (watchers, animancers, ciphers etc. etc.) that there just wasn't space to properly tell the Godlikes' story.

Well, Pallegina doesn't exactly strike me as the type who'd be torn up that she can't be a mother, but I agree with you that the Godlike concept was very much unfinished. I think they only had so much narrative space, and had so many topics to get through (watchers, animancers, ciphers etc. etc.) that there just wasn't space to properly tell the Godlikes' story.

I am only using Pallegina as an example, imagine any other barren avian godlike. And what you say is wrong, you can't be sure how her life would have been, hers and other godlikes', if they could procreate. As it is now, she saw the soldiering life as her only option. But, regarding the poor implementation of the godlike, I feel it would be best if they had not bothered with them at all instead. But let's try to think positively, perhaps this section of the world will be better fleshed out in the sequel.

I am only using Pallegina as an example, imagine any other barren avian godlike. And what you say is wrong, you can't be sure how her life would have been, hers and other godlikes', if they could procreate. As it is now, she saw the soldiering life as her only option. But, regarding the poor implementation of the godlike, I feel it would be best if they had not bothered with them at all instead. But let's try to think positively, perhaps this section of the world will be better fleshed out in the sequel.

Okay, although Hylea does have other aspects besides childbirth (birds and the sky), I suppose it is cruelly ironic that Avian Godlikes will always be barren. But then, I get the impression that Godlikes are supposed to be cruelly ironic. I mean, that *should* be worshiped as champions of the Gods, whereas instead they're persecuted.

Would have made more sense if the main villain (or one of the villains) was a Woedica Godlike. Then you could at least argue that they play a role in the story.