Selecting dice

Foolish_Dog

Question

3 answers to this question

You can only select dice once the character is in a party. For some reason, OBS decided that people would want to assign dice at the party level, rather than at the character level. Myself, I just don't understand that decision at all, but it is what it is. A quick search for "assign dice" turned up this post http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/88961-dices-skin-reset-arranging-party/?do=findComment&comment=1841552 have a look, OBS explain how it works. (BTW, it's not completely accurate in my experience as dice assignments are more persistent than OBS seem to indicate will be the case.)

You can only select dice once the character is in a party. For some reason, OBS decided that people would want to assign dice at the party level, rather than at the character level.

Like treasure cards, dice limits are calculated by party.  That way, if you only have one elemental fire dice, one character in each party can equip it.  Only allowing you to use the dice selection screen for active party members is a means to enforce/highlight those limits.

BTW, it's not completely accurate in my experience as dice assignments are more persistent than OBS seem to indicate will be the case.

Also true.  Dice selections have been part of the character save for a while.  I'm not sure if the "revert to blue when you leave/disband a party" was ever a thing; it certainly isn't now.  Dice should "stick" to a character when you do something sync-worthy like starting or finishing a scenario.  

If you were to combine several characters into one party that would have more of one dice style than you possess in your collection, the same audit that destroys excess copies of treasure cards should revert some members to the default blue dice to maintain allowed limits.

Edited by Ethics Gradient

Dice selections have been part of the character save for a while.  I'm not sure if the "revert to blue when you leave/disband a party" was ever a thing; it certainly isn't now.  Dice should "stick" to a character when you do something sync-worthy like starting or finishing a scenario.  

If you were to combine several characters into one party that would have more of one dice style than you possess in your collection, the same audit that destroys excess copies of treasure cards should revert some members to the default blue dice to maintain allowed limits.

My approach is to assign dice to characters so that there is no duplication. Why would I want duplication anyway? The point is that each character uses a unique dice skin so that "their" dice are recognisably "theirs". Of course the way that the current implementation is screwed up beyond belief completely renders this pointless.

I always felt that adding dice was an unnecessary feature that would introduce bugs into an already bug-riddled system and I find it ironic that OBS haven't yet found the time to fix the system that they introduced when they should really have been spending dev cycles on fixing the bugs that were already there.