Can't install patches because game thinks patches are already installed

Guest Ontarah

Question

Guest Ontarah

So I had the the whole game (all patches and all expansion pack) installed and I encountered that bug that turns textures into floating pink squares.  Since I had all the patches installed, I knew that wasn't the problem so I decided to do a clean installation.  I have the GOG version so I uninstalled with windows.  I then downloaded and installed *just* the main game with no patches or expansion pack.  I then downloaded the first patch for the game (patch 3.00) but when I attempt to run it, it claims the version of the game installed is *newer* than the patch, which is completely impossible because I uninstalled everything.  When I launch the game, it does indeed think that White March is installed but whenever I attempt to load a savegame somewhere in the White March, it just hangs forever on a load screen so clearly the expansion pack isn't installed.  When I run the uninstall programs service, I see pillars of eternity and various patches and the expansion pack listed in the queue of installed programs.  However, each file is only about 3mb in size, but I can't uninstall them because the wizard just hangs there.  When I run a search in file explorer, these 3mb files show up and the directory says they are on my desktop, but they are *not* on my desktop.  When I try to delete them in file explorer I get a weird error message.  How can I get rid of these files because I believe those are what is making the game think it is still installed when it isn't?    

3 answers to this question

Hey Ontarah,

I then downloaded the first patch for the game (patch 3.00) but when I attempt to run it

It sounds like you have the base game installed which is 3.02, and you are trying to install a patch. If you have the base game installed with the installer, there is no need to install the patches. The patches are only for updating the game from older versions. The installers are already up to date.

My suggestion is to completely uninstall the game. and delete any patch or installers you have. Go to the GOG site and download only the Installers for the base game (3 files), TWM P1. (2 files) and TWM P2 (2 files) Just download and install the installers only. Don't use the patchers at all.

gog.JPG

Then you should be good to go!

Guest Ontarah

Hey Ontarah,

I then downloaded the first patch for the game (patch 3.00) but when I attempt to run it

It sounds like you have the base game installed which is 3.02, and you are trying to install a patch. If you have the base game installed with the installer, there is no need to install the patches. The patches are only for updating the game from older versions. The installers are already up to date.

My suggestion is to completely uninstall the game. and delete any patch or installers you have. Go to the GOG site and download only the Installers for the base game (3 files), TWM P1. (2 files) and TWM P2 (2 files) Just download and install the installers only. Don't use the patchers at all.

attachicon.gifgog.JPG

Then you should be good to go!

Well, I was having two problems.  One was the problem with the patches.  The other was with the system thinking the expansion pack was installed when it was not installed.  I just ran a system restore to a point before I originally uninstalled the game, and then uninstalled it again.  This time it appears to have worked as I was able to launch the vanilla game and it said "What March Part 1&2 - not installed" and the expansion pack installer is working normally.  I think the uninstaller messed up the first time and left some kind of residual files on my computer that make it think the White March was still installed.  The system restores seems to have cleaned whatever those files were out.  

Gog has used a small text file (gameinfo) in the root install folder to track the version of the installed patches. If that points to the wrong version the update fails.

I am not sure if it is used for the windows version too, as i only have the linux version, but i would expect this.

Curent content of gameinfo

Pillars of Eternity