My Kyra got gimped

Brittas

Question

A new and interesting bug.

Everytime I play with Kyra, if I use a weapon that has a + trait (e.g. spiked chain +1) then the check to defeat the monster is rising by 4. If I swap back to another weapon, such as a mace or longsword then the check is fine.

(This has nothing to do with the modifier to using slashing/piercing against skellies, this affects all monster banes – and I’ve always checked for any location effects or scenario effects – mostly playing normal with her.)

To give background to this possible problem:

Was playing in a party of four – last scenario of Adventure 1 Burnt Offerings. Kyra died just before the end  of the scenario. I know I should have quit out but I was tired and a bit salty after attempting the mission a few times due to bad luck/rng. Against my better judgement, as I was 1 turn away from winning, I decided to continue... Anyway, the other three team members got their rewards, Kyra obviously didn’t.

So I immediately replayed the same scenario to get Kyra’s reward. Completed the quest but she didn’t get the reward. Yeah, I know this is a known bug – so I was like, yeah okay, move on.

But since then, when using Kyra I was getting the check bug. In the end I deleted the Kyra I had with my original party and started a new one. I thought I’d level her up solo to the same level as the others and continue on. But the bug has persisted. If I use a weapon other than a standard one, then her checks get raised by 4. I can’t understand why. This hasn’t occurred with any other characters, so I can only assume it has something to do with her dying and bugging out.

Anyone else had any problem like this?

Edited by Brittas

6 answers to this question

You need to use your power feat to give her proficiency with weapons. See how the box next to that is unchecked? It's because she doesn't have it yet. If you aren't proficient with weapons, the checks for spiked chains go up by 4. It's not a bug

Some weapons raise the difficulty of tests by 4 when using them with characters that aren't proficient with weapons (and Kyra doesn't get her first power feat which she can use to get weapon proficiency until partway through burnt offerings).

Did you check that the weapons you used weren't these types of weapons (most swords and bows have this penalty).

Kyra isn't proficient at weapons until you are able to select it as your power feat level up, which I believe is the reward for winning the Trouble in Sandpoint scenario. Certain weapons, especially those with +x, require proficiency with weapons otherwise the difficulty of the check is increased by 4. So most likely not a bug unless you do have weapon proficiency but are still getting the penalty.

Edit: What they (Hjqusai and Pseudonym_OK) said :)

Edited by Deadfish72

The OP reported he doesn't get the penalty with normal Longsword (which requires profficiency). Unless he just mentioned a weapon off the top of his head - this could be a bug.

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

Ha, you know what guys, you are completely right. And what makes me thoroughly ashamed is that I am a big time fan of the physical version (and also played Skull and Shackles and Wrath) so you'd think I would have recognised that. I think because I had a few buggy moments with the game (cards getting stuck on the screen at one point during a combat) I suddenly became hyper observant over everything. I should have guessed it would be the weapon proficiency, but for some odd reason I always had in my mind Kyra started with it. 

Thanks for the responses guys. Makes me happy she is okay. Now to get levelling her back up...  :geek:

Edited by Brittas
  • Like 1

Ha, you know what guys, you are completely right. And what makes me thoroughly ashamed is that I am a big time fan of the physical version (and also played Skull and Shackles and Wrath) so you'd think I would have recognised that. I think because I had a few buggy moments with the game (cards getting stuck on the screen at one point during a combat) I suddenly became hyper observant over everything. I should have guessed it would be the weapon proficiency, but for some odd reason I always had in my mind Kyra started with it. 

Thanks for the responses guys. Makes me happy she is okay. Now to get levelling her back up...  :geek:

Don't feel bad.  I whined because I couldn't play my shield without remembering I'd played a Bastard Sword on the combat check.  Also a card-game fan...

• Like 1

"I need a lie-down" is the new "I'll be in my bunk..."