OSX El Capitain has broken PoE

Kel27

Question

So I (foolishly) installed El Capitain the other night only to discover that it has broken PoE.  When I launch the game all I get is a black screen with the menu music. The game does work if I use CMD+F to switch to windowed mode, but there is also a noticable fps drop since installing El Capitain (so much for Metal). Switching back to full screen makes the game screen freeze (music still plays normally).  

Anyone running 10.11 without any issues? I'm considering reverting to Yosemite.

• Like 1

Hi all,

I am having an issue that might be related to this issue. I am running PoE on a late 2012 iMac, specs as follows:

2.7GHz Intel i5

8gb ram

Geforce GT 640M 512MB

OSX El Capitan 10.11.2

The issue I am experiencing is overall instability of the game. Loading a save kicks me out to the desktop about half the time. In full screen mode, I generally get about 10 or 15 minutes before crashing out to desktop. When transitioning from an indoor to outdoor location, the screen displayed serious graphical glitches, but the game seemed to be running fine otherwise. Windowed mode is somewhat more stable, but after about 20 minutes after playing I started seeing some graphical glitches -- blocky fog of war, dialogue screen glitches (the dialogue window was transparent). Shortly after that I was booted to desktop.

The crash log that pops up seems to indicate that this is all being caused by my graphics card. However, it seems that others here have identical systems and are working fine. This is the only game I am having this experience with. Additionally, I played PoE for about 100 hours 6 or so months ago with no glitches or crashing issues at all. 

I did some email back and forth with Aarik, and while friendly, he didn't really have any solutions to offer other than to contact Apple. I will try that, but I don't have high hopes there. I am hoping someone here might have some helpful insight for me. I am not terribly computer literate, but if this is something that is affecting just my computer, can I assume that there might be a hardware or software issue just on my machine? Is there a way to test this easily?

In any case, here are a couple photos of the graphical glitches I've experienced:

http://imgur.com/a/8WCAJ

Wow, thanks. I wasn't able to play long but using the Nvidia drivers seems to have done the trick.

Thanks very much for providing the link -- I had clicked around on the Nvidia page for my GPU for a bit but they didn't have the Mac drivers with the others. 

• Like 1