Linux bug in newest Steam version 2015-09-12

jrssnet

Question

Getting disk write failure on update to newest version (2.01?) in Steam.  Appears to be related to a typical Windows developer bug: assuming that filenames are case insensitive.  

me@banshee:/opt/SteamLibrary$ grep failed ~/.local/share/Steam/logs/content_log.txt
[2015-09-12 15:32:01] AppID 291650 update canceled : File commit failed: unexpected install file locked "/opt/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Pillars of Eternity/PillarsOfEternity_Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp.dll" (Disk write failure)

Actual location of files is under /opt/SteamLibrary/SteamApps, as seen here:

me@banshee:/opt/SteamLibrary$ ls -l
total 3
drwxrwxr-x 6 jimbo jimbo 75 Sep 12 15:35 SteamApps
me@banshee:/opt/SteamLibrary$ ls '/opt/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Pillars of Eternity/PillarsOfEternity_Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp.dll'
ls: cannot access `/opt/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Pillars of Eternity/PillarsOfEternity_Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp.dll': No such file or directory

Having found the problem, I monkeypatched it temporarily by just symlinking /opt/SteamLibrary/steamapps to /opt/SteamLibrary/SteamApps:

me@banshee:/opt/SteamLibrary$ ln -s SteamApps steamapps
me@banshee:/opt/SteamLibrary$ ls -l
total 3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 jimbo jimbo  9 Sep 12 15:36 steamapps -> SteamApps
drwxrwxr-x 6 jimbo jimbo 74 Sep 12 15:35 SteamApps
me@banshee:/opt/SteamLibrary$ ls '/opt/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Pillars of Eternity/PillarsOfEternity_Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp.dll'
/opt/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Pillars of Eternity/PillarsOfEternity_Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp.dll

This worked, but it's horrid.  Please update your paths to reflect the fact that Windows is pretty much the only system that routinely uses case-insensitive file and path names.  A directory named SteamApps should always be referred to as SteamApps, not as steamapps. =)

Thank you!

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet