[1.06] black screen when starting the game

SegundoSol

Question

Hey everyone,

Ever since the last update (or possibly also since 1.05 as I didn't get to play for a while) I can't start the game anymore. Whenever I do start it, all I get is a black screen and a cursor, apart from that nothing else happens. I can move the cursor, it's not frozen, but all I can do is ALT-F4 to end the game.

I've seen that some other people have posted the same problem but whatever was suggested there (rename empty_steam_depot folder, delete the last save game, try to force it into windowed mode) did not help in my case.

You will find the output_log and the dxdiag files attached, I hope it helps.. Thanks!

DxDiag.txt

output_log.txt

2 answers to this question

Hey Aurelio, thanks a lot for your answer! I updated the driver, didn't change anything. And yeah I should have mentioned it from the start, but verifying the cache was the first thing I did and everything seemed to be fine with the files.

Buuut, it's fine now! In the end I deinstalled and reinstalled the game and I've got no more problems. My internet is pretty slow so I was trying to avoid that (downloading the game again took foreeever) but it solved the problem, so hurray, back to PoE! :)

Your graphics driver seems to be a bit old... usually you should look at your notebook vendor to see if they have updated drivers but seems they dont.

You could try to use these: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy2&os=Windows%20Vista%20-%2032

Not sure if it helps but have you tried to verify steam cache? Right click on the game in steam. Choose Properies. Local Files. Checkf for errors. That's the first thing you should do.