Character Development & Multi-dice Systems in RPGs

Why don't more games utilize multiple dice systems where a series of dice are rolled, and the highest retained (like in Deadlands)? It seems to me that it would solve a great many problems where hp/damage bloat, RNG volatility/disparity, level scaling, weapon/ability obsolescence become an issue as character progress in power.

It seems far more logical to me that character improvements would be better represented through reliability (roll 3d6, take the highest roll) rather than chasing ever higher numbers. Power levels can still be represented with different dice ranges (*d6 vs. *d10) and other integer bonuses, so that's not a concern either. With all of this being done via computer, the dice are not cumbersome and non-traditional or arbitrary dice can be used as well (d72, d33, etc).

This way, rather than copious tables, a character dice range would increase at milestones (power), while steadily rolling more dice (reliability). This would also have the added benefit of assuaging RNG tantrums. Power levels would also likely have a more natural kind of bounded accuracy where a seasoned warrior will have no trouble with say...three goblins, but no longer be able to swat an entire tribe simultaneously without flaw. Obviously scale does still matter, and a balance between the range of the dice and number rolled will have to be taken into account. I feel that this would be far easier to balance though.

I'm not sure if I have explained this concept clearly, so let me know if not. Otherwise, does anyone know of a reason why cRPGs do no use multi-dice systems like I have described?

Edited by Mr. Magniloquent
  • Like 1