[1.04] Companion skills are borked

Achilles

Question

Hiravias joins my party at level 8.

Upon reaching level 9, his skill screen looks like this:

post-1981-0-69834800-1429576030_thumb.jpg

Druids start with 2 points in Survival and 1 point in Lore. Drifters get 1 point in Survival and 1 point of Stealth. Level 1 Hiravias should look like this:

Stealth: 1

Athletics: 0

Lore: 1

Mechanics: 0

Survival: 3

Instead, he has bonuses as though he started like this:

Lore: 3 <----- Borked

Survival: 3

You can tell because that screen says he only needs 3 skill points to take Lore from 3 to 6.

So, let's take advantage of this bug:

post-1981-0-79666900-1429576454_thumb.jpg

Hmm. That 3 magically changes to a 6. Issue corrected? Let's reverse that to see what happened:

post-1981-0-16936400-1429576579_thumb.jpg

Oh my! The Points To Spend bug fixed itself, but now Hiravias has 10 points to spend this level up instead of 8 (this is as it should be, as he should have 4 points left over after level 8, not 2).

To be continued...

EDIT: Corrected my final parenthetical here after double checking the math.

Edited by Achilles

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

5 answers to this question

It's not just Hiravias though. Pallegina also joins my party at level 8.

I have no idea what "Soldier" does, as it's non-standard, but Paladins start with 2 points in Athletics and 1 point in Lore. Running the math backwards, it would appear that Soldier gives 1 Athletics and 2 Lore, meaning that Pallegina looks like this at level 1:

Stealth: 0
Athletics: 3
Lore: 3 <----- Borked
Survival: 0

That doesn't seem right though (because that means Soldier gets three points whereas other backgrounds only give two) and here's why: same problem with Pallegina's Lore spend as Hiravias.

Taking the sequence in order again, level up screen shows too many bonus points in Lore:

post-1981-0-02686100-1429578156_thumb.jpg

Issue magically resolved:

post-1981-0-75426400-1429578167_thumb.jpg

Pallegina, now with more points than she started with:

post-1981-0-05261900-1429578206_thumb.jpg

If we run the math backwards again, we now know that Solder gets 1 point in Athletics and 1 point in Lore. However this means that Pallegina is missing 2 skill points!! She should have had 4 points left over after level 8, not 2.

I wish I could say that I'm finished, but I'm saving the best for last. 

Grieving Mother, coming up next...

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Grieving Mother. Level 8. 

Looks like this:

Stealth: 6
Athletics: 4
Lore: 2
Mechanics: 1
Survival: 4

That's a lot of points. 

Ciphers start with 1 point in Stealth, Lore, and Mechanics. Again, "Midwife" is a non-standard background, so some investigation is required to figure out what bonuses it grants.

First, let's look at her level up screen and see what we can infer:

post-1981-0-16035500-1429578916_thumb.jpg

We can quickly determine that whatever Midwife is, it comes with a prestigious number of extra skill points.

4 in Stealth, 2 in Athletics, 1 in Lore, and 1 in Survival. Wow! 

If I do the "spend the points and then take them back" exploit, she jumps from 11 points to spend to 17. The good news is that this tells us what Midwife is and what it is not.

post-1981-0-97306400-1429579183_thumb.jpg

So, no bonus to Stealth and no bonus to Athletics. Lore and Survival only. Got it.

Level 1 Grieving Mother should have looked like this:

Lore: 2
Mechanics: 1
Survival: 1

Which means that in order to get to the point distribution she starts with, she had 5 skill points left over after level 7, didn't spend any point upon taking level 8 (transferring 11 points to level 9), and should have 17 points to spend right now (which is what I get after I do the "spend the points and take them back" thing).

I hope this helps. Please fix! :)

It would help if you had a saved game with eighth-level Hiravias to hand the devs so they could repro in-house :)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I'm sure that I do, but they have npc progression tables. It's not as though there's a software bug at work here.