Ranger Bugs

Thrum

Question

After noticing issues with Sagani in my monk's playthrough, I tried to pinpoint some bugs/errors I could find on a level 1 ranger.  Got some interesting ones!

-Wounding shot does not apply a DoT.  This may be intentional and due to a tooltip update error.

-Marked prey seems to have no effect.  I know this one has been reported, but just thought I'd list it.

-This may be intended, but wolf companions have no attribute allocation (all are set to 10), unlike all other companions.

-The boar companion trait (Wounded boar damage bonus) tool tip is bugged and lists X1 damage while endurance below 50%, unless the effect is active.  This may be intended, but no character icon buff on the pet or combat log indication occurs when the buff activates.  The buff seems permanent after activation, even after the pet is knocked unconscious.  The permanent activation applies to earlier save files.  This last bit may be one of the more unique bugs I've seen in a while!

-The stag carnage ability might be bugged or have missed an update sweep.  The damage range is very low, possibly from an earlier build with lower companion damage.

-This may be intended, but companions have very high, possibly maximum stealth score.

-This may be intended, but companions do not take health damage.

-Bonded grief does not occur or disappears if the ranger is out of combat/aggro range of the enemy that killed the companion.  This may be intended and revolve around mechanics designed to prevent exploits of using companion auto-ressing to whittle down enemies while the ranger is safely out of combat range.

-Defense scores seem to be off for some companions.  This may be due to fractions in calculations rounding on the character sheet and combat stat display.

-This may be intended, but lion and bear companions attack about 50% slower than the others.  Most other companion stats are normalized, so it seems unusual that two of them would have half the damage outputs of the others.  Side note, more listed info on companion stats would be useful, particularly damage range, interrupt value, and attack speed (DR, defenses, damage type, and accuracy are easy to find in combat logs).

I know this may sound odd, but I'm actually having a lot of fun tracking down these issues!  Ironic, seeing as how part of the reason I'm even doing this is because my main play through progression has been sidetracked due to the soul whip and Raedric's Hold bugs.
  • Like 4

6 answers to this question

A bug that I'm dealing with on Sagani is her wolf companion's Takedown ability is permanently 'Already activated' and unusable. Resting, dismissing and bringing her back into the party all have no effect on this. Just got the 8th level with her and it's still bugged  :(

• Like 1

The Takedown ability seems to just be completely buggy.  My Sagani's is the same way, not sure if it applies to PC rangers too.  With the number of major issues they have (pet stats, marked prey, wounding shot, bonded grief, etc.), I get the impression rangers may have been refined later in the development cycle and didn't get the level of bug sweeps some other classes did.

• Like 1

After looking a little closer, I found I was off on some of the issues I thought I saw earlier.

-Wounding shot does apply a DoT, but the damage isn't displayed in combat popup text or combat logs.  This is similar to some other dots that are not channeled or from ground effects, so it may be intended or an oversight.

-Marked prey does have an effect but it may or may not be bugged.  The tooltip is incorrect (I'm assuming just outdated) and it looks like the ability gives the caster a 50% damage buff after DR instead of a static +20 damage (maybe to prevent balance issues with multiple hits from using a blunderbuss).  It is not affecting animal companion hits, though, which may or may not be intentional.

-Animal companion primary stats other than the wolf's are wonky and most have different total values.  Wolf has 50, but others have 63-66.  I can understand the total values being intentionally lower than those for PCs (I'm assuming they were meant to be 10 lower), but the differences make me think there were some tabulation errors and that the wolf just missed out on all his points.

A bug that I'm dealing with on Sagani is her wolf companion's Takedown ability is permanently 'Already activated' and unusable. Resting, dismissing and bringing her back into the party all have no effect on this. Just got the 8th level with her and it's still bugged  :(

Just got the same on my Wounding Shot ability. It's greyed out and permanently 'Already active'.