Monks more viable as tank or as melee dps?

Hello everybody!

I'm really torn in deciding what to play with release just one day away. I love the monk class and have always tried playing one in other rpgs, but I'm kinda overwhelmed in my options for PoE.

I like the idea of a fire godlike monk with Turning Wheel, but I have no idea if this is even feasible or if this would be better for Tanking or Melee DPS. Does Fire Godlike even add something to the monk? Should I concentrate on DPS OR Tank or is there something in between?

Since I tend to powergame a lot, I'm really afraid to mess up my build :D 

If anyone has any input, I would deeply appreciate it!

Fire godlike really seems like it should add something to a Turning Wheel monk, but my own experience suggests that it usually doesn't. Battle-forged just doesn't come up unless you're taking damage faster than you should be, at which point you drop a heal and lose the benefits of Battle-forged. Even in Sensuki's video, I didn't see his Endurance ever drops below 50%, meaning Battle-forged never came into play. I won't say the ability is categorically useless for monks, but I personally haven't seen them get much mileage out of it.

But yes, Turning Wheel is sick!

In general, a tanking monk will want heavy armor and a shield, which may not sound very monk-like, but it does work out pretty well. I've never tried to run an unarmed/lightly armored DPS monk, but I've seen people claim that they're solid.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.