What do you get for advancement?

illathid

So after making  a  few characters and leveling them up before heading into town, I realized I had no idea what effect leveling up had on my character except giving me skill points and access to new talents/abilities. I also knew I was getting HP, but iI didn't know how much.

So I started to pay attention, and I saw my accuracy was raised each level. However, there could be other benefits to leveling up that I'm not seeing. Shouldn't there be a summary screen while leveling up that shows all the benefits we're getting. i.e. +10 HP, +2 Acc., etc.

I think something like this would really help make advancement seem meaningful, especially for otherwise "dead" levels*.

And while  we are on the subject of leveling up, I might as well express a pet peeve of mine. Right now a level one character will attack at the exact same rate as a level 10 character. I'm sure there are arguments for why this is, but it just doesn't feel right to me. I think giving all character a small bonus to recovery time at each level could help this a lot. If you wanted to get really fancy, you could give additional recovery bonuses to certain classes (e.g. Fighters have reduced recovery time for heavy armor, Paladins get reduced recovery time for using shields, etc.).

Anyways, just thought I'd put this out there and see what anyone thought.

*Pretty sure there are no actual "dead" levels in PoE, but some of them sure seem like it. "Lay on Hands 2" yay. Awesome. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

I think something like this would really help make advancement seem meaningful, especially for otherwise "dead" levels*.

I think those "dead levels" shouldnt exist, it always felt so dull if you leveled up in AD&D IE games and couldnt choose anything. More skills would be really neat to flesh out characters and builds. I dont think that we get it but I really hope that its possible to mod them in later.

Edited by Mayama