Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

High Priority Feedback: Races

races priority feedback

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Stefan Zamfir

Stefan Zamfir

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Hello,

I wanted to start a thread to answer the questions from Josh's email. Sorry if this was covered in anther thread and I missed it.
If not let's hive him a hand and offer him our opinions on these. :-)

I  also tried to offer a few numbers to easily quantify the results.

Do the races and their subtypes feel distinct? 

In a scale of 1 to 10 I would give the variety an 9.

Proportions: make it very easy to read at first glance the race of each character.

Faces: distinct enough to grant each race and subrace it's own personality.

Clothes: while it would have been great to have different clothes for each race, the different colors make a good difference between races and subraces.

Overall, in my opinion, in the character creation screen, the variety was properly achieved. While, as I said, different clothing might have improved it farther, I feel the budget for this might have been better spent on something else.

Do their models and textures appeal to you? 

I would give the character models a 7 out of 10.

Clothes: shaders and texture both look very good to me.

Faces: here's the only aspect I felt could use a bit of improvement. The default face models look a bit generic IMHO, especially if you compare them with the great artworks you previously shown. 
For example, the sketch of the Orlan concentrating to read an object, inspired to me a very distinct fantasy world. The game model lost a bit in translation this impression. Of course, I might be subjective here.

Small note: the two toned skin from the Orlan description is not exactly visible in the model, but there might be just my small laptop screen here.

Overall: If possible to add more personality to the character faces without big changes to the editor it would be great. If not, I would leave them as they are: Elder Scrolls is notorious to have some really ugly character models since the down of time and nobody seemed to care. 

Do their bonuses and special abilities seem worthwhile?

I would give the bonuses and special abilities a 9 out of 10.

Bonuses: IMHO they do a good job in showing what each race is all about.

Special abilities:  they seem big enough to add a special flavor for each subrace. 

Humans might befit from a bit of variety here, but you probably you are already working on it. 

Overall, the races give to me the impression is of a deep and rich world and I believe this is the the most important thing they need to offer.

There it is, I hope it helps.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: races, priority feedback

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users