Making attributes more impactfull and interesting

derriesen

Hi forum,

I got my head wrapped around the idea of more generic stats that apply equally for every class etc. I even think I'm over the Might for Wizards confusion. I even came to think that might is one of the worst stats for combat efficiency and I'd rather have other stats. But:

All attributes give minor advantages, you can totally put all an like 11/12 and be fine. I dont even think youll notice much of a difference between characters with the exception of stamina/fortitude amybe. When I start the beta over and create a character I switched to solely putting points governed by how I imagine the character, so my only intent has become roleplying with the attributes. I think this is what might be one of the design goals of the current system. Once you get used to it its fine, if I were totally new to the system I would not act like this and would be upset about the way attributes work, as I was when starting the beta.

My biggest complaint about the attribute system as it is right now is: There is now real negative aspect of having low stats. There is no real tradeoff when going 18/18/18....

So I came to thinnk: How can attributes be more meanignful and be kept true to the current system? How can we get more impact out of them and differntiate characters more? 

Here is what I suggest:

Set the attributes to average values for every Race in character creation (like: 9/8/13/11/10/10 for elves for example). At the average value of about 10 the stat doesnt affect you negitively or positively. If you lower the stat you will receive penalties for the respective mechanics. Incresaing a stat gives you bonuses. I would also like to see bonuses and penalties increasing for every point you get further away from the average.

This would make attribute distribution much more impactful and youll have to think of the tradeoffs.

Also you would lessen the 18/18/18/4/4/4 behaviour and get more varied stat lines maybe!

This is a suggestion that can be discussed and altered all the way, dont think that this is what I think is THE only best thing to happen. Just a thought that I wanted to share with you.

regards