Question from a Game student that would like to work for Obsidian

Orogun01

I'm currently finishing a 3 year degree on Game Arts and I have specialized as a character modeller. I was wondering what the devs over at Obsidian wanted to see from a character modeller? What kind of level of quality would he/she need in order to land a job at Obsidian?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Look at character art in current video games.  Browse portfolios of professional character artists.  Peruse 3d art forums and see what other people are doing.  The bottom line is that your work needs to be comparable to professional video game artists' work.  These are the people you will be competing with to land a job at Obsidian or any other studio, so their work is the benchmark.

I think it's worth mentioning that Obsidian gets so much interest that I don't think they have any openings -- unless you already have experience. Everyone wants experience, which is the conundrum.

You might want to start making things for TF2 or the Steamwork shop. Find a game that needs HQ textures or models and get to work. Get some items submitted. Heck, Wasteland 2 was running a competition a few months ago - you missed your chance there, you could have had your models in a game, which you could slap on your resume. Look for stuff like that.

Yeah, definitely look around sites that host indie developers. Find a team, start making stuff for them. If the project works, you can cite that as experience.

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go: