How Independent Do You Like Your NPCs?

How Independent Do You Like Your NPCs?  

155 members have voted

1. 1. I like party NPCs to be...

• Extremely Independent (They have their own uncontrollable combat AI, manage their own inventory, they take a share of loot, etc)
    • Very Indepedent (They are equipped and controlled by you, but may leave if you anger them)
    • Somewhat Indepedent (Equipped and controlled and they might like/dislike you, but they're not going anywhere)
    • Slightly Independent (They chime in with comments, but no real gameplay difference from a party of player-made PCs)
    • Not At All Independent (A party of player-made pcs that you roll up with no voice/plot of their own)
    • Other?

I like NPCs that are controlled and equipped by me, but feel like they have their own personality and agenda. I think it adds a lot of depth and immersion when characters with very different views from me choose not to continue journeying with me, but tactically, I like being able to switch to them when necessary.

That being said, I could be persuaded to allow them to be autonomous. Fallout: New Vegas had excellent companion design, but again, that's mostly because the characters had their own back stories and agendas, and wouldn't go along with someone who did what they didn't believe in.