Necromancy/Shamanic?

I'm curious, what would you like to see in the world regarding Necromancer's of this particular setting? I'm mind blown by Sawyer, Update #24 was just great. Loving it, I laughed a couple of times saying out loud "That is so awesome!". Good job guys, good job *applause*

After watching the video I promptly began reading and got up to this point and couldn't help but think about Shamanism:

Necromancy

Despite the assumed natural cycle of things, there are individuals in the world of Project Eternity who either want to know more about that cycle or who choose to alter that cycle. Broadly speaking, "necromancy" refers to any attempt to do either, whether that involves speaking with the soul of a dead mortal, attempting to tap into the unconscious past lives of a living soul, or to bind soul energy or a complete soul inside of a dead body.

These acts are viewed with differing levels of criticism depending on the culture. Many folk share the interest of necromancers and would like to understand more about the eternal cycle, but are also afraid of what they might learn. Some extremists are opposed to any and all necromancy, and tales say that a quiet and powerful cult that has worked for centuries to discredit, trap, and even murder necromancers for their efforts. To the people who oppose necromancy with such violent passion, mortal understanding should have limits, and they fear the consequences for the world should those limits be unraveled.

This is Shamanism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamanism

Could there be a strand of Necromancers, a group or a cult, that are Shaman in ideology? Or are we on the wrong continent.

It does sound pretty familiar and similar to me. "Good Necromancers" that are actually appreciated, or looked down upon, or even certain parts of the world are estranged about it.

Thoughts?

It reminds me, a bit, not wholly, of the lore supporting Diablo II's Necromancer. Just the general theme of, "they aren't really evil" but, "people are still scared of them" . . . I'm not sure what he's getting out fully transfers into Shamanism, but, I can see the possibility of such an idea. Whether it will be present, or not, is anyone's guess, but . . . because of the terminology they're using I get the feeling that, if we see it, it won't be the main focus of the Necromancy related content in the game. I'm curious now, however, exactly what the reaction of people in the world will be, in different areas, to Necromancy - especially if the player uses it.

I think it's interesting to discuss that second portion just because you have games like DA2, with their forbidden magics, that you can use out openly on the street with . . . absolutely no one blinking an eye . . . .

Which just makes backstories like this pointless. They need to have substance and representation in the gameplay, the mechanics and the world a player explores to maintain the presence that the lore suggests.

-

Maybe we'll find an out of the way spin off culture with a Shamanic bent though, who knows. It's just the language they're using that suggests they have a more specific idea of Necromancy. Even though it does sound a bit like some 'ancestor worship' cultures that try and contact their dead ancestors, or call upon them for help. That, of course, doesn't necessarily suggest an exact parallel. I can see a form of Necromancy that pulls from it, without going into Shamanism and ancestor worship cultural themes as a whole. They're more likely pulling little bits and pieces from it, if they're pulling from it at all. They may have just had some ideas that just happened to have some similarities.

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

Well, I am just curious if it is a "Jedi/Sith" complex with Necromancy. Using power for good = Shaman, using power for bad = Necromancer.

Does a Necromancer have to be a Wizard even, is it a Title or a Class?

I would love to see some consequences for using my Necromancer power's in the midst of a crowd, how a cheering audience can suddenly go silent, then screaming horrified and thinking that I am the enemy and I must be purged (even if I just saved them from a dragon or whatnot). I can also see how people wouldn't give a damn and just be thankful I saved them, it would depend on the region and in what way you use it I think.

Well, I am just curious if it is a "Jedi/Sith" complex with Necromancy. Using power for good = Shaman, using power for bad = Necromancer.

The 'cult' word they used may result in 'cultiests' as the in lore term, but, really, it's so little to go on that I wouldn't consider that a definite by any stretch.

A good question, but I think the only way you'll get an answer is to get lucky during one of the Q&As. If you're really curious it may be worth submitting.

The 'cult' word they used may result in 'cultiests' as the in lore term, but, really, it's so little to go on that I wouldn't consider that a definite by any stretch.

A good question, but I think the only way you'll get an answer is to get lucky during one of the Q&As. If you're really curious it may be worth submitting.

Didn't we go through this in another thread? I'm speculating freely and just wondering out loud. I'm letting my imagination run amok. I'm not looking for an answer from Obsidian, it's more of a question towards you: "What do you think, do you feel that the Necromancer is its own Class?" etc. etc.

• Like 1

They've not presented a class that's a Necromancer, so unless there are Necromancer NPCs in the game, that we cannot play as (or they announce a very strange last minute stretch goal) I'd say no. Maybe there is a way to build an existing class toward Necromancy, but again, that's speculation and we have no information to confirm or deny such a possibility as of this post.

Would I want that? I'd rather they concentrate on magic forms we haven't seen countless times over, but, that's me, Obsidian are the only ones that can decide such things. If it were up to me we'd axe almost all the traditional stuff; create new classes, races, environment types and so on. Overused magic types like Evocation would be axed and weirded less used types like Transmutation, and the more weird magical types would be used instead. Personally I've seen Necromancy done countless ways, including the misunderstood Necromancers that are harmless. I could live without Necromancy, but what I want and what I can live with are irrelevant. It'd be incredibly selfish if I thought otherwise.

Edited by Umberlin

They've not presented a class that's a Necromancer, so unless there are Necromancer NPCs in the game, that we cannot play as (or they announce a very strange last minute stretch goal) I'd say no. Maybe there is a way to build an existing class toward Necromancy, but again, that's speculation and we have no information to confirm or deny such a possibility as of this post.

Would I want that? I'd rather they concentrate on magic forms we haven't seen countless times over, but, that's me, Obsidian are the only ones that can decide such things. If it were up to me we'd axe almost all the traditional stuff; create new classes, races, environment types and so on. Overused magic types like Evocation would be axed and weirded less used types like Transmutation, and the more weird magical types would be used instead. Personally I've seen Necromancy done countless ways, including the misunderstood Necromancers that are harmless. I could live without Necromancy, but what I want and what I can live with are irrelevant. It'd be incredibly selfish if I thought otherwise.

I think what you want is pretty relevant, it doesn't necessarily have to happen, but it could be an inspiration :)

I'm with you to be completely honest, I'd go on a completely new different unexplored path (or try to find it). But that's exactly what Obsidian is doing too, they go on a new unexplored path, with what we've got. It's difficult to create an entirely new set of rules, and most of them have already been done by all the other millions of games, we're starting to grasp what "works" and what doesn't "work".

To stay on topic: Are there any untraditional way Necromancers can be used?

My take on what they could be:

Personally I can see them as ordinary men and women, wearing tuxedo's, having regular jobs, not necessarily down deep in a cave or a hermit somewhere dressed up all "voodoo", but part of society. Shamans are known to be spiritual healers, communicating with the dead and being the bond in-between (the underworld), the Necromancers we see Obsidian portray share similarities in this. Of course there would be darker aspects to it as well, those who use it to bring back close ones to life and become corrupted by their own personal strife, or those who use it deliberately for evil, seething the very will force of others and political snakes who slither their way through the hierarchy (the Emporer in Star Wars as an example).

EDIT: Some being honest men and women, who might have unraveled the mystery's of Necromancy by mistake and now hide or are retired from their previous ways.

Edited by Osvir

I think Necromancers would the Paranormal investators of our world mixed with Skeptics, some don't trust the words of the Gods, others feel what they do brings them closer to the Gods.

Necromancers would get a measure of thier power from the cycle of reincarnation itself, so they not just interested in death, but the whole cycle birth, life, death, and the after life as well as undeath and or beating the cycle of rebirth buddha style. That's your unique twist to Necromancers.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Kind of like scientists then? There's been discussions on people with guns having a faction hunting wizards (witch hunters if you will, "torch bearers", lynch mobs), wasn't scientists and philosophers considered an abomination for quite a few points in our own history and were hunted just as much as "wizards"?

I know Sokrates had to swallow a vial of poison because he was spreading a philosophy, but P:E has said to not be that far back in history *shrug* would Necromancy apply to mentioned lynch mobs?

There is life and death in this game, regardless of whether a class is made to manipulate it or not. So I'd like to see some kind of emphasis on that, what though I'm not sure. I've always favored the class and the idea of controlling the undead to serve my purpose. However, I have to agree with Umberlin too. Something fresh would be fantastic.

Edited by Frostyglitch