One of my pet peeves about levelling up and character development is how the skill trees or magic spells are all laid out neat and tidy up-front. I can understand that for certain established classes, that almost all skills or techniques may be well known, so it can be laid in advance.

However, for less known classes such as ciphers or wizards, is it really necessary to lay out all available magic spells or skills is such a perfunctory manner. Wouldn't it be better:

(a) to allow the PC to have knowledge of spells and skill trees up to a basic level (say levels 1-3);

(b) the higher level techniques or spells can only be discovered when;

(i) accessing higher level trainers or through exploration of lores; or

(ii) promotion to higher ranks in their respective guilds; or

(iii) stealing techniques by observing higher level NPCs during battles etc.

© allow access to some unique skills or magic spells in difficult and rewarding side quests such as meeting powerful NPCs in the proposed mega-dungeon.

I know some might complain that they would like to know everything up-front so they can plan their build accordingly. Or that it will force players to rely on the strategy guide. If that's the case, how about a compromise.

Just have some organic skills/magic spells that will be not revealed unless you have performed the relevant side quest and are rewarded for it. It just makes levelling up more rewarding as well as allowing for some unique builds. I just don't get the situation where, ok I level up and suddenly I have divine inspiration and universal knowledge as to the techniques/magic spells in this world.