Double Fine did a good job of getting a big push at the end, so hopefully Obsidian can do the same. I've been spreading the word as much as possible, even sent in the story to our local news tech reporter.

Hurlie, you bastard, another great idea! I took notice and sent in an email to Cavuto@foxnews.com. He's done interviews with both the CEOs of both Gamestop and Activision. I think this Kickstarter phenomenon is worthy of a look from the business community if nothing else. Getting the word out could really help. Tomorrow, I'll send a letter to the LA Times and other local papers. Take the idea and consider contacting local news outlets to see if you can drum up interest. I know we're not 'investors' as such, but we've put our money into this project and we want as many people as possible buying into it. If the project tops 3 million bucks, it will certainly be noteworhty as an up and coming method for funding games.

• Like 5

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Originally, I wasn't going to post in this thread again. I thought to myself that I'd look like an idiot, and I probably do. ...But then I thought to myself, why care? I don't know if this idea really helps or not. I don't if anything will come of it, but I'd rather look like an idiot trying to do something constructive than fear being an idiot and not do anything at all. So, what I did was look through the LA Times and found out they'd done an article on Kickstarter in June of 2012. I then looked up the staff writers for technology and emailed all of them. I might be wasting my time, but I think I'll do it with the Register and the Review Journal and other newspapers. I don't know, probably won't do much, but you never know. The point is, if you bought into the project, you must want it to secure as much funding as possible. Be like Hurlshot and go out there and try to scrounge up support wherever you can! That or laugh at me. It's all good. :Cant's self-deprecating icon:

Dear LA Times:

I know you've published at least one article about Kickstarter in June of this year. It's an alternate source of revenue for computer games by which a large number of consumers buy into a project as a way to secure funding to begin development. In fact, Obsidian entertainment, which has developed several big projects for the likes of Bethesda Software and Atari has recently Kickstarted a project, called Project Eternity, and met it's initial goals of $1.1 million in the first 24 hours. I do not work for Obisidian, but I did contribute to the project. While it might be self serving for me to suggest this as a possible topic for an article in your paper, I also think it's a legitimate story. After all, it involves what will undoubtedly be a multi-million dollar project funded not by some huge publisher, but by fans like myself. There may always be room for the Activisions, Ataris, and Electronic Arts of the world, but there may be a day when some or even most of the big name projects in computer gaming are funded entirely by large numbers of donations from small donors. Just think, this is a project underwritten by thousands of small investors who don't demand royalties or a stake in the revenue, but only wish to support the artistic vision. A timely story, as a follow up to your previous article, could shine a light on an increasingly popular way for the consumer to have a stake and say in the future.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity

Respectfully,

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

On second thought, I've decided against my previous post. If any mods happen by, just delete this thread, sil vous plait

Edited by Cantousent

Obsidian Plays