IGDA Board Of Directors Elections - 2011 Candidates

funcroc

Feargus Urquhart, CEO, Obsidian Entertainment

After working in the gaming industry for twenty years, I've started to look at it as a responsibility of the people of my generation to really start giving back to the industry that's given us both a great living and the ability to do something we love. I've been a member of the IGDA for many years now and would like to see the IGDA serving both newcomers to our industry and those of us who are showing a little (or a lot) of gray hair.

My hope is to work with the leadership of the IGDA to see if we can cater to each stage of a person's career in our industry and to also provide them the resources to take that next jump.

From my personal perspective, I would like to work towards the possibility of the IGDA providing support for the sharing of ideas, war stories and commiseration between senior level managers, leads, project directors and studio heads. Outside of running into each other at shows, the IGDA Leadership Forum and a few other informal meeting places, I have always felt we could provide a greater benefit to each other through sharing the successes and the failures we have all had over the years. On top of that, making sure there is also place to get information on mundane topics, such as "What is the best book on starting a business in a particular state?", "How can you use excel to track staffing?", "Can you use TTP to also track tasks?", "What's the best way to focus test a game?", or "How can you useSharePoint to successfully manage a large team?"

Looking at my seven years running Black Isle Studios, eight years running Obsidian Entertainment and my start as a playtester on NES (8-bit Nintendo) titles all the way back in 1991, I can bring at lot of perspective and experience to the table and would love the opportunity to do so for the IGDA.

Contributions

- IGDA Member since 2003

- IGDA Lifetime Member since 2010

- Actively supported the Orange County IGDA Chapter by providing a venue for meetings and spoke on Contracts and Negotiation to the Chapter in 2009.

- Hosted round table at GDC for the IGDA on Project Management

https://www.igda.org/elections/2011-candidates

• 1 month later...

IGDA Elects Four New Board Members To Board

Urquhart joins the IGDA board as CEO of Fallout: New Vegas developers Obsidian Entertainment. His credits include games in the Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights series, as well as early '90s Interplay titles like Clay Fighter and The Lost Vikings

2011 IGDA Board Election Results

Selected to the four available 3-year seats:

Brian Robbins, Founder, Riptide Games Total Votes: 549

Feargus Urquhart, CEO, Obsidian Entertainment Total Votes: 532

Dustin Clingman, CEO, ZeeGee Games Total Votes: 517

Cordy Rierson, Director, University Talent Development, Microsoft Game Studios Total Votes: 480