Windows Visual C++ Runtime Error at Activation

Fohmyn

Question

Howdy,

I'm having a problem where I receive an error, "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library...This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way." I've found this issue listed on the Steam forums (my distributor for Alpha Protocol), but they won't have a fix posted until a) they discover one, or b) someone here can provide one. This is on a system with Microsoft XP (64-bit).

Symptoms: The launcher opens without fail every time. When I go to Play, I am able to get to the window where you input your CD key. I input it, and when I hit activate, I receive the above error. Every time I launch the client after that and hit Play, it instantly provides the error, without taking me to the activation window.If I go to the following two folders and delete them, I am able to once again get to the activation screen and input my CD key. It does not resolve the crash, it just resets it.

C:\Documents and Settings\<user account>\Application Data\SEGA Corporation and,

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SEGA Corporation

This issue seems to be related to 64-bit users, as there is a similar thread (labeled [solved]) labeled as a Windows 7 64-bit error. Unfortunately, none of the troubleshooting steps I found there have worked for me. In regards to Runtime, I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, updating, going back to old versions, to no avail. I've tried doing the same with Nvidia Physx, and OpenAL. My drivers are all up to date.

One user on another forum was able to bypass this issue by manually typing in his CD key instead of pasting it into the field. He received the Runtime error every subsequent time he launches the client, so he has to delete the two folders listed above and manually type the CD key again, but he is able to get into the game. This did not work for me after multiple attempts.

With that possible fix in mind, my initial thoughts are that this is a conflict between the DRM, Uniloc, and 64-bit Windows (I've heard about it on XP and Windows 7). The DRM FAQ released regarding Alpha Protocol listed a possible fix for users who could not perform the activation procedures within the client (dubbed 'Web Based Activation'), but I have not been able to find a good FAQ to direct me in this process.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

Bumping this since I'm having the same problem. The only difference is I'm on 32-bit XP. I believe I've tried the same fixes as the above gentleman.

I've also tried reinstalling the game a few times. After a fresh instal, when I enter the activation code, it seems to crash before it completes. It does not prompt me to enter the code again, however. When I delete the two folders (C:\ . . . \SEGA Corporation), I am prompted to enter the code again. When I do this time, the activation seems to finish. The game still crashes with the runtime error, though.

Fohmyn, if you happen to get it working, please post how in this thread.

People have talked about this here. Check out the thread and see if those solutions help you.

I looked through that thread as well, and even referenced it in my original post. Since you labeled it solved, when nothing in there solves the issue, and its title is for Windows 7 users, I thought I'd make a thread that addressed my issue separately.