game CRASHES on start up!

hello, ive been searching these forums for an anwser and i cant find one anywhere SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME =)

ok so.. first off.. played KOTOR 2 on this computer before so i know its not the hardware.

i install the game, and click update to update the game. apparently lucas arts has taken down the support for it since it tells me to download the manual patch on the lucas arts website. so i do. downloaded the patch and installed. clean as a whistle.

BUT to my dismay.. the same crash happens every time. after i click GAME to play, it shows the obsidian banner, and a picture of our favorite dark jedis, and then RIGHT before it gets to the game menu, windows says the game has encountered an error and needs to quit.

EVERY TIME.

someone please help me! im so frustrated because ive tried everything that anyone has said on the internet.

thanks so much! :p

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You running it on Vista or XP?

I'm actually having this same problem.

I'm running XP, I've got the 1.0b patch installed (but it happened before I installed that) and I'm running an nVidia GeForce 7900, 2GB of RAM, etc, etc. I've run KotOR and KotOR 2 on this machine before and I run Dragon Age and so forth on it. I noticed that when I go to configure, it tells me I meet the required system requirements but not the recommended requirements, and it complains that my card is the weak link (which, again, is strange because I can run far more demanding games on this machine).

What gives?

EDIT: When it was working before, I was using an ATI card and I had all the standard problems on the Dantooine level until I used DVBO in the .INI file. But right now, the thing won't even load and I don't understand why.

Edited by Warrax

hello, ive been searching these forums for an anwser and i cant find one anywhere SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME =)

ok so.. first off.. played KOTOR 2 on this computer before so i know its not the hardware.

i install the game, and click update to update the game. apparently lucas arts has taken down the support for it since it tells me to download the manual patch on the lucas arts website. so i do. downloaded the patch and installed. clean as a whistle.

BUT to my dismay.. the same crash happens every time. after i click GAME to play, it shows the obsidian banner, and a picture of our favorite dark jedis, and then RIGHT before it gets to the game menu, windows says the game has encountered an error and needs to quit.

EVERY TIME.

someone please help me! im so frustrated because ive tried everything that anyone has said on the internet.

thanks so much! :)

The #1 source of this problem is video drivers, and the LucasArts site (or here) isn't very helpful. The only solution that worked for me for this problem (and everybody else that I've read about) is to install older nVidia drivers when you want to play KotOR2. Yes, this sucks, but you *HAVE* to do it. I used 174.74 drivers, as I recall. This game just plain won't work with any newer drivers than that.

That's untrue, I'm playing with 197.13 and it's working like a charm, only one crash in 14 hr play atm

Who are you "Michael, Mike, Michael, Mike, Michael darling, mr. Thorton, Michael, Mike, Michael, Mike, Michael darling, agent Thorton, Thorton, Thorton, Thorton, Michael Thorton, etc....."

"Oh the candy dish! That's right - that's where I left my keys" Heck YEAH!!