Game Informer and Revolvers

No, it means the commentary about .357 magnums is neither here nor there.

I know it's just Wikipedia, but if .357s were a common load out of Navy SEALs, my guess is someone would have mentioned it.

I never said it was a common load out. I just said some choose to carry it. SEALS are allowed to choose their sidearms last time I checked. Also, it is mentioned in an episode of MANswers. The episode about the S&W .500 Magnum to be precise.

Also, I never said that their .357 magnum revolvers would be super awesome guns that are totally superior to every other sidearm and that they would always carry them. You can't silence a revolver, so obviously in ops where you need a silenced weapon, they would carry something else or at least a second pistol.

I just said that because SEALS sometimes choose to carry them, there is obviously some advatages to having them. Here is the episode in which it is mentioned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UKu2zbMHJ0

Keep in mind, the dude speaking is a retired SWAT Officer. He's not a SEAL, but he is not a civilian either. My guess is when you want a lighweight, reliable "backup" gun for long range shooting, that is when you would carry it.

Your quoting MANswers as your source?

What's next, Spetsnaz will dominate the Green Beret's because Deadliest Warriors said so?

No, I am quoting the retired SWAT Officer they hired as my source. I wouldn't quote the shows announcer, on the grounds he is just a narrator, or one of the super models, on the grounds that they are just models. I am quoting a retired SWAT Officer who happened to appear on the show. Please read my statement in full. Also, I agree with what AlphaPro said. I don't pretend that revolvers are superior weapons-but some people do use them, and MT does carry unorthadox weaponry, like Javelins.

Edited by Revolverhawk

It's a SpikeTV show, they're going to find anyone that will talk about stuff that makes for good entertainment. Especially if it's good rugged tough-guy man entertainment. If he was the only person out of 1000 that felt that way, they'd still put him on the show.

This is the same show that polls women in various countries how likely they are to perform various sexual acts. The source is hardly ironclad. I'd probably trust Wikipedia more, and I felt sheepish quoting it!

Just because SEALs sometimes choose to carry them, doesn't mean that Michael Thorton does, or will even have access to them.

Edited by alanschu

It's a SpikeTV show, they're going to find anyone that will talk about stuff that makes for good entertainment. Especially if it's good rugged tough-guy man entertainment. If he was the only person out of 1000 that felt that way, they'd still put him on the show.

This is the same show that polls women in various countries how likely they are to perform various sexual acts. The source is hardly ironclad. I'd probably trust Wikipedia more, and I felt sheepish quoting it!

Just because SEALs sometimes choose to carry them, doesn't mean that Michael Thorton does, or will even have access to them.

I will agree that MANswers is not the most scientific show on the planet. But I still agree with what AlphaPro said-

"Yes, the military does not use them. Some SEALS do, but MT is NOT in the military. hes a green field agent, and that basically means that hes not limited to whatever the military carries. In real life, a revolver has its uses and has its problems, just like a semi-auto. So, why not put it in anyway? Those that are so strictly against having a revolver in the game just because a field agent would not likely take one can just pretend it doesnt exist. One of the screenshots shows him with a Javelin. I don't think most CIA agents just keep one of those around there house. But nobodys complaining about having a rocket launcher in there. Why? Because what else are you going to take out Tanks with. Revolvers have their uses too."

MT carries a rocket Launcher. He has some pretty exotic weaponry. The fact he has access to ROCKET LAUNCHERS says a lot about what he could get if he felt like it. So why not just throw in some revolvers anyways?

Why shouldn't he?

Or, more importantly, why should the devs spend time working on implementing pistols, rather than something else? If you're going to grant options "just because" then you run the risk of feature creep. Why not single SMGs? Why not sawed off shotguns? Why not lever action rifles?

Look at it this way, if Michael Thorton only had access to revolvers, unless there's a contextual reason why, it'd seem unusual and jarring to the setting. If Michael Thorton only has access to modern semi-automatic pistols, then people say "hey it'd be cool if he had a revolver."

An NPC uses revolvers, and Thornton is confirmed as having access to semi-auto pistols. The asset's already in the game, might as well use it.

And yes, they should have single SMGs ;)

Why shouldn't he?

Or, more importantly, why should the devs spend time working on implementing pistols, rather than something else? If you're going to grant options "just because" then you run the risk of feature creep. Why not single SMGs? Why not sawed off shotguns? Why not lever action rifles?

Look at it this way, if Michael Thorton only had access to revolvers, unless there's a contextual reason why, it'd seem unusual and jarring to the setting. If Michael Thorton only has access to modern semi-automatic pistols, then people say "hey it'd be cool if he had a revolver."

An NPC uses revolvers, and Thornton is confirmed as having access to semi-auto pistols. The asset's already in the game, might as well use it.

And yes, they should have single SMGs ;)

QFGT-

Quoted for Genius Truth. An NPC already uses them, the asset *is* already in the game.