Crash Upon Startup

Hi there! I recently installed KOTOR2, patched it with the 1.0b patch and tried to play. As it starts up, however (before anything appears onscreen), I get a 'This program has encountered an error and needs to close/Send error report' message, and I'm booted back to desktop. I tried reinstalling; same thing happened. I tried reinstalling without using the patch; same thing again. What's weird is that I have had this game running perfectly only a couple of weeks ago on this same machine. I did a reformat recently, and now it doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

System Specs:

Windows XP SP3

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

2GB DDR2 RAM

Nvidia 8800GT 512MB

(And yes, all of my drivers are up to date.)

Hi there! I recently installed KOTOR2, patched it with the 1.0b patch and tried to play. As it starts up, however (before anything appears onscreen), I get a 'This program has encountered an error and needs to close/Send error report' message, and I'm booted back to desktop. I tried reinstalling; same thing happened. I tried reinstalling without using the patch; same thing again. What's weird is that I have had this game running perfectly only a couple of weeks ago on this same machine. I did a reformat recently, and now it doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

System Specs:

Windows XP SP3

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

2GB DDR2 RAM

Nvidia 8800GT 512MB

(And yes, all of my drivers are up to date.)

Try cleaning your disc (Clean lint free cloth with some disc cleaner) & your cd/dvd drive (Compressed Air)......You may just have some dust that is just kicking the laser off enough to not read the initialization file correctly. If your disc is scratched you're probably going to have to get a new one.

(Dual-Boot)Windows XP Pro (32 - Bit) SP3 & Windows Vista Ultimate (SP 1) 64 Bit | Intel Dual Core 2 Quad 6600 @ 2.4 Ghz | 8 GB Corsair DDR 3 Ram 1600 mhz | GeForce 9600 GT 512 MB PCI Express X 3 SLI enabled | NVidia Forceware Drivers 181.22| EVGA nForce 790I-SLI Ultra MOBO | Thermalake 850 Watt PWR |

Heya, thanks for the reply. I've cleaned the disc, and there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it.

Just in case it's relevant: When I try to start the game, my resolution changes to the game's resolution and the screen goes black for a few seconds. Then the error message comes up (still in the game's resolution) and then it closes and boots me back to my desktop.

Thanks a bunch anyway, though.

EDIT:

I seem to have gotten it working. I tried running swkotor2.exe in compatibility mode for Windows 98. Not sure why that got it running, but it did.

Edited by Pundemic

Heya, thanks for the reply. I've cleaned the disc, and there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it.

Just in case it's relevant: When I try to start the game, my resolution changes to the game's resolution and the screen goes black for a few seconds. Then the error message comes up (still in the game's resolution) and then it closes and boots me back to my desktop.

Thanks a bunch anyway, though.

EDIT:

I seem to have gotten it working. I tried running swkotor2.exe in compatibility mode for Windows 98. Not sure why that got it running, but it did.

i sem to have the s\me problem with number 1. it just wont play. it says that it can be played on my laptop but it just will not play and i dont what to do.